Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Account from 2003

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Account from 2003

I have a collection account that is showing as unpaid from a daycare my son went to in 2003.  They are saying I owe 2,500.   My son left the daycare and I may have had a balance but I don't remember and don't have my records.  However, the daycare cost me about 500 a month.  I was NOT 5 months behind. This amount has been reported since 2003 so it is not due to interest, etc. I did this backwards.  I did not debt verify this collector.  I did dispute it on ONE report.  The 30 days for the dispute is up on May 8, 2009.   This CA has been updating this account every month for the past year with the CRB. 

What should I do?   Should I dispute with the other two bureaus in case the CA isn't going to respond?  Should I wait until after 5/8 and debt verify?   Should i just ignore it since the SOL has run (I'm in Delaware) and it is due to fall off of my report in October, 2010?   On two reports it is showing as an outstanding balance.  On one report it is just showing as a collection and not factoring into my debt ratio. 

I am HOPING to get a car loan in the summer and am trying to get this all resolved as soon as possible. 

IF I have to pay this account I want to settle.  I do NOT want to PIF.  This daycare was a nightmare.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Account from 2003

I would send the CA a short and simple DV.

Have you ever been contacted by this CA?

Message 2 of 4
203bravo
Established Contributor

Yes DV the CA.  You must also find a copy of your daycare contract... where their any added fees for simply breeching that contract?? that may have been where the high balance came from?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may have been way back when by telephone.  I vaguely remember asking then about a settlement because I didn't agree with the amount and wanted them to go away.   I was willing to throw them some money just to have one less thing to worry about.  I didn't know about ANY of this stuff back then.  I honestly don't remember seeing or getting any paperwork.   My son was in and out of the hospital and I had changed jobs.  I probably did.

I know I sound like an idiot but I did a lot of avoiding reality when I was younger.   I was never very good with stress.  Thankfully I have learned since then.

Thank you for any and all help.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.