cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Accounts "Verified"??

tag
pinksaph

Collection Accounts "Verified"??

I had two HSBC CC, both were paid off but seemingly after HSBC transferred the collection to LVNV CA.

HSBC updated all 3 bureaus stating "Paid after charge off", with balances showing $0.

LVNV has them listed as open accounts for collection, with the same account numbers as the HSBC. I've disputed this across the board but all 3 bureaus "verified" the debts and neither were removed.

After seeing this, I went back to my credit report online and disputed them again as "PAID". I figured it was worth a try.

How can I get these off?

(As of 8/2020) EFX: 512, TU: 502, EXP: 540
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection Accounts "Verified"??

What you need is solid data.

It appears, on first review, the you had two open accounts with HSBC

What you need to post is:

1. The date of all delinquencies on the HSBC cards while they were still open.

2. The date of any charge-off on either card done by HSBC. (that, of course, made it a closed account).

3. posting of a collection on either account. (apparently so, by LVNV)

I am speculating, but if LVNV bought the debt, then the OC, HSBC, would then post $0 balance due on the OC account.

That does not mean that the debt has been satisfied.  It just means that the OC no longer owns the debt, and then it is up to the CA to make any legal claim for its collection, and/or to make any further posts to your CR.

What the CA is reporting is their colletion account, which is clearly open with them (not the OC) until paid.

Payment of any debt, without a PFD agreement from the party you pay, never mandates any removal of anything from your CR.  It just mandates update of account status to paid.

How do you get them off?   If paid, then you have to write them letters requesting good-will deletion on their part.

If unpaid, you can try PFD offers,and hope they bite.

Message 2 of 4
pinksaph

OK. So even though HSBC has indicated that both accounts are paid. That does not affect LVNV posting that their collection is unpaid.

My question then is, does LVNV have an obligation to mark the item as paid even though I never paid them, and paid the OC instead?
Or, will LVNV still expect me to pay them, on top of having paid HSBC?

(As of 8/2020) EFX: 512, TU: 502, EXP: 540
Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, the CA has to mark them as paid.  However, it was HSBCs responsibilty to tell them it was paid.

No, you do not have to pay them again.  I would send them a DV letter.  They are going to need to prove you owe the debt.  There is no time limit for them to respond but they have to stop collection activity.

If they do not respond or insist you owe the debt I would file complaints with the BBB, FTC and your state AG office.

You could send them a copy of the paid statement.  Personally, I would DV them first and see what happens.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.