cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Accounts--to pay or not to pay, that is the question?

tag
AAG1903
Established Member

Collection Accounts--to pay or not to pay, that is the question?

I'm new to this:-/  Trying to rebuild and establish credit...Numerous collection accounts on my husband and I's credit reports.  Goal is to purchase first home within next two years.  

To improve credit scores,

1) When, if ever, do paid in full collection accounts fall off report?

2) Should we pay other collection accounts, or just wait for them to fall off?  (some will not fall off until 2017)

3) When, if ever, will 60, 90, 120 days late payments fall off on non collection accounts?

Please help with any of these questions...any info is soooo appreciated:-)

CK starting score 514, goal 600 in 6 months or less
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection Accounts--to pay or not to pay, that is the question?

@AAG1903 wrote:

I'm new to this:-/  Trying to rebuild and establish credit...Numerous collection accounts on my husband and I's credit reports.  Goal is to purchase first home within next two years.  

To improve credit scores,

1) When, if ever, do paid in full collection accounts fall off report? 7.5 years from the DoFD of the OC they are collecting for

2) Should we pay other collection accounts, or just wait for them to fall off?  (some will not fall off until 2017) I would only offer PFD to the ones that will still be on your reports when you apply for the mortgage. You also dont want to mess with them unless you can PIF if they are still inside states SOL.

3) When, if ever, will 60, 90, 120 days late payments fall off on non collection accounts? 7 years from the date they occured or by a campaign of GW letters to the OC asking for foregiveness.

Please help with any of these questions...any info is soooo appreciated:-)

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.