Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Acct Removed? Why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Acct Removed? Why?

So I just checked my report on creditkarma today, and one of my collections accounts was removed? I know that sometimes CA will sell accounts to other CA. However, I was planning to mail out TX DV letters to a few of my CA, and this was one of them...so should I still do that now? It just said that the account was removed, but only from my TU, it still shows on Experian.  This very same CA was removed from my report in January 2015 and was re-added at some point. So I do understand that they could just "re-add/report" again.

It is a medical debt, if that matters. I'd just go straight to the OC but the debt is from 2010, so I'm not sure that they'd be able to help at this point.  All advice is welcome, as I'm really just starting to work on CR.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Collection Acct Removed? Why?

I'd say don't mail.anything out yet. Wait to see if it comes back up, or was sold to.another debt collector. For any given reason the collection may have been deleted and you won't hopefully have to worry about it anymore. Also, your score would increase a bit. 

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Credit report deletion may or may not indicate that the debt collector no longer has collection authorty.

Credit reporting is separate from debt obligation, validity, or cease collection bars.

If you desired debt validation prior to the deletion from one CRA, I would still send.

The issues still remain as to desire to validate or impose a cease collection bar.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's still on any report send the letter.
Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.