cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Activity without notice and while deployed.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Activity without notice and while deployed.

I signed my husband up for credit karma (with his permission) because the of data breach of government employees.  He's currently deployed to the Middle East.  I received an email from CreditKarma about a debt that had been put on his credit report.  We NEVER received any bill, any notification that he owed anything.  He's been deployed since early May and the reported date is May 31.  Is there anything I can do?  I have a general power of attorney.  I thought the SSCRA had some protections for collection activity.  We plan on buying a house when he comes back, so I'd like to get it cleared up and off his report if possible.  Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Activity without notice and while deployed.

Welcome to the forums!

I appreciate your husband's service and I know you also have sacrifices brought on from that service too.  As an Army Vet, I understand what those are and appreciate them.

I found this article about the SCRA (new name of the SSCRA) and after reading it, I am confused about it, but maybe you can find what it means in your individual circumstance.  Basically, I took it to mean that a lot depends on what the debt was, and if he incurred the debt before or after entering active duty.  It also says that it applies to when he is on active duty, and not just when out of the country.  Also, he would have to be able to show that being on active duty materially affected his financial abilities.  The biggest point is that it isnt automatically in effect, he has to take action to invoke protection from it. 

http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/searches/sscra.html

If you could share more info about what the debt is for and the amounts and if it is a collection or a judgement, that might help us give you an informed response.

GL - CAs dont show much empathy

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection Activity without notice and while deployed.

While it is stated that he received no bills or notice of the collection prior to its reporting, it is not stated that he has no knowledge of the account/traqnsaction that is alleged to have created the debt.

Is it his position that it is not a valid debt, or only that billing was not provided or notice was not sent prior to placing for collection?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.