cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection After Discharge Help

tag
kinged854

Collection After Discharge Help

What steps should I take in removing two separate collection accounts on my credit reports?  The original creditor for both accounts is ADT, which was included in my Chapter 13 discharged in July 2011.

The collection agency is Pentagroup:

Balance $470.00        Date opened Oct. 2011

Balance $200.00        Date opened Oct. 2008

Chapter 13 was filed on Sept. 2007.  I have a copy of my discharge letter stating ADT was in the discharge orders.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection After Discharge Help

I would send a direct dispute to the CA with paperwork showing that it was IIB.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
kinged854

Certified Mail?  What time frame do I give them to respond?  What specifics do I include?

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Under the direct dispute they have 30 days to respond directly to you.  Yes, CMRRR.

You need to be able to prove it was discharged in BK and provide the paperwork to them.

This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

(If sent to a debt collector, (CA), it might  be beneficial to also include the blurb:

“This is a direct dispute of credit reporting. This is not a request for debt validation/verification  under FDCPA §809(b).”.
                  (don’t let them just simply sluff it off as a meaningless  DV letter)

“In compliance with FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at  16 CFR § 660.4, this Notice of Direct dispute includes:

“Identification of the specific information being disputed:
           (specify the account number, and the specific information that is disputed under

that identifying account)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate;    was any reporting in violation of any statutory or

regulatory provisions?  account or express agreements?  CRA reporting gudelines? Account not

yours? etc.)

Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; it is recommened to also include,

as part of your documentation, at least a copy of the portion only of your

recent credit report showing their reporting of the disputed information was

actually reported to your credit flle.  The implementing rule suggests a  showing

that it appeared in your credit report)

Message 4 of 6
kinged854

I followed genesis advice and experian has removed both collections accounts.  It has been over 30 days, and I have not recieved any reponse from them.    What if my next move?  How do I follow up?

Thanks in advance.

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If the CA has not responded they are in violation of the FCRA.   You could actually bring a civil suit against them if you wanted.

File a formal complaint with the FTC and cc the CA a copy of the complaint.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.