Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agencies Not Licensed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Agencies Not Licensed

I have recently started my credit repair journey. Today, I searched to find out if the collection agencies that are listed on my credit report were licensed. To my surprise, one was not licensed and another's license has not been active since 2007. 

Can anyone inform me on how I can use this information to get these collections removed off of my credit report? My state also requires that a collection agency be licensed.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection Agencies Not Licensed

@Anonymous wrote:

I have recently started my credit repair journey. Today, I searched to find out if the collection agencies that are listed on my credit report were licensed. To my surprise, one was not licensed and another's license has not been active since 2007. 

Can anyone inform me on how I can use this information to get these collections removed off of my credit report? My state also requires that a collection agency be licensed.

Well now this is a direct violation of state law so you would be contacting and reporting this to your states AG and I would also be sending them (the CAs) an ITS (Intent to sue) letter demanding their reporting be immediately removed.  Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I will be filing complaints with AG immediately then.

Message 3 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. I will be filing complaints with AG immediately then.

Also adding that if you decide to send the CAs the ITS letter that you also include that they Cease & Desist any and all collection efforts along with removing it from your CRs.

Message 4 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Will you let us know how things work out with each creditor/CA?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

To give an update on this, I have found that one collection is operating under another company and therefore not required to be licensed. The other collection is a bit complicated.

They are not licensed but I am assuming they are a "passive debt collector" which I believe should still be licensed. I called this company previously to ask for a PFD but they refused to talk to me and even told me they do not have my account info and to call another company which I'm assuming are collecting for them. This company stated that they are not licensed to collect and to call a 3rd company.I refused to do so. I still have not received a dunning notice from a 3rd collection agency.  I have disputed this account, 2 have come back verified. I'm awaiting the 3rd from TU. 

I am a little confused on what next steps to take. Should I send the Intent to Sue letter now? I need to do more research to find out if passive debt buyers need licensure. Any input will be helpful. 

Message 6 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

To give an update on this, I have found that one collection is operating under another company and therefore not required to be licensed. The other collection is a bit complicated.

They are not licensed but I am assuming they are a "passive debt collector" which I believe should still be licensed. I called this company previously to ask for a PFD but they refused to talk to me and even told me they do not have my account info and to call another company which I'm assuming are collecting for them. This company stated that they are not licensed to collect and to call a 3rd company.I refused to do so. I still have not received a dunning notice from a 3rd collection agency.  I have disputed this account, 2 have come back verified. I'm awaiting the 3rd from TU. 

I am a little confused on what next steps to take. Should I send the Intent to Sue letter now? I need to do more research to find out if passive debt buyers need licensure. Any input will be helpful. 

No you would not send the ITS letter until you are absolutely sure they have not authority to collect in your state. I would in  this case send a MOV letter to the CRAs who are verifying the debt with demand for how it was and who verified it, if its one of those companies that says they have no info on you then IMO their reporting it is bogus. I will warn you ahead of time the CRAs will try to stall you with a bunch of gibberish when you send that MOV, you need to keep on them and be referencing your authoirity under the law to obtain such information... The other option is to do nothing until you hear back from the AGs office...

MOV is Method of Verification

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.