Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agencies attacking equifax only

tag
ddiamond
Valued Member

Collection Agencies attacking equifax only

I'm so furious with 3 collection agencies. I have paid them off months ago, and on my experian and transunion report they have reported paid with no negative remarks, but on my equifax they wrote paid but changed the status to "120+ days late" this causes me to have delinquent accounts on my equifax report but they didn't add those remarks to the experian and transunion reports. Is there a way I can get them to change this. I have called, but get no where, I have even tried to use the BBB but that didn't work either. Is there anything else I can do to get them to correct the "120+ days late". Mind you, they added this status once I paid them.

Starting Score: 546
Current Score: 666
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Collection Agencies attacking equifax only

Suggestion - dispute (long form) with the credit bureau pointing out that x company is a COLLECTION company and can NOT report 120+ (or any other) lates.  It is incorrect reporting, please fix.

Message 2 of 4
poet
Regular Contributor

And dispute via real US mail (CMRRR), not the online dispute form.

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 673 EQ, 681 TU, 650 EX
Goal Score: 720

Update April 1: TU 615/EQ624
Update June 28: TU 641/EQ 626
Update Sept 21: TU 681, EQ 673, EX 650 (FAKO)
I FINALLY got that car at the rate I wanted! Thanks, FICO Forums!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Many consumer credit reports that you get are confusing, and mix information taken from both the OC and CA accounts portions of your CR.

Any 120-day lates in your CR must come from the OC account portion of your CR.  CAs don’t report 30/60/90/120+ lates. 

When you paid the collection, the CA was required to do two things:  update the collection status to paid, and the debt due to $0.  Payment of the collection does not remove any prior delinquencies reported by the OC.

Providing the late was correct and accurate, the OC may report it at any time, and they will remain in your CR for 7 years from date of delinquency. 

The “remarks” in your CR aren’t the derogs themselves.  I suspect that these remarks originated from the OC account reporting, rather the CA reporting.

I see no grounds for dispute of an accurate posting of information based on when it was reported.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.