Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Agency Help

I got a phone call from an agency ive never heard before and is not even reporting on my credit report about a debt i owe and is requesting i pay them, i denied everything and asked for in writting debt validation 2 days letter i get a statement in the mail from them which just looks like a bill of total due and my name on it, what steps should i take next? ive never heard of them before and i kno i have 30 days to respond or its deemed valid.

thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection Agency Help

Do you recognize the debt?

You have 30 days in which to send them a request for debt validation, but they have sent what they consider to be adequate verification, so they will most likely simply repeat with their statement that they have nvestigated, and find the debt to be valid.

You then have a few options. 

You can assert that their validation is inadequate, and thus that they remain under a cease collectioon bar, which was imposed by your timely DV.

You can obtain an agreement from them not to report to a CRA in exchange for your payment of the debt.

You can ignore their collection attempts, and leave the next action to them, such as filing a civil suit seeking a judgment.

You can, if willing to put your assertion that you never had any such account/debt into a sworn police report, send the police report to the CRA should they report, and also send a copy of the police report to the identified original creditor, demanding all business records relatting the the alleged account/transactions.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Agency Help

I do reconize the debt, it is truly mine and i do wish to settle i just want to make sure it is to the right person because it looks like its been sold around 2 companys have reported it now this one comes up but never seen on my report. I am in the process of clearing up my mess and would like to handle it just need advice on next steps

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.