Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency Keeps Updating Record Quarterly

tag
michjd75
Valued Member

Collection Agency Keeps Updating Record Quarterly

Is it legal for a collection agency to keep updating my file to report the same collection account as a new account every 3 months?  All of the information is the same each time. The collection is only for $106 from Enhanced Recovery.  What can I do to stop this from dropping my score each time since it keeps reporting as a new collection account?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

Re: Collection Agency Keeps Updating Record Quarterly

What they are doing is just updating the existing information. The age of the account hasn't changed and the DOFD and drop off dates can't change. They are "set in stone". I was confused about that sort of thing, myself, when I started on this forum...you aren't alone!

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
michjd75
Valued Member

The irony is that I sent a PFD, certified return receipt this past Thursday just to get it off my reports.  It is still within SOL (will drop off CR in 2016).  I just was approved for a AMEX Zync on Friday. [completely stunned by that one.] 

I know this make my scores plummet.  SIGH...

This is one of 2 that keep updating as a New account. 

Message 3 of 6
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

@michjd75 wrote:

The irony is that I sent a PFD, certified return receipt this past Thursday just to get it off my reports.  It is still within SOL (will drop off CR in 2016).  I just was approved for a AMEX Zync on Friday. [completely stunned by that one.] 

I know this make my scores plummet.  SIGH...

This is one of 2 that keep updating as a New account. 

Well, hey, think positive...maybe they'll accept that PFD and no more worries. Also...CONGRATS on that AMEX Zync. Well done! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I also had a couple that continued to do this.  And even though it seemed like it was ruining my score, it wasn't, as FICO scores from the DOFD, and that doesn't change from their updating.  I had a Nissan account included in BK since 05 continue to update every single month.  IDK why they did that other than to try to torture me for not paying them.  (Though they got the car back......)

So don't worry about that part....just try to get that PFD thing.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 6
michjd75
Valued Member

Thanks for the words on encouragement!  I really hope they accept the PFD too. $100 versus 4 years on my credit report... no question at all which to choose.  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.