Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency Not Reporting Charge Off, Only OC Reports

tag
GameMaster1564
New Contributor

Collection Agency Not Reporting Charge Off, Only OC Reports

I currently have a charge off from Capital One (formely HBSC) Best Buy Credit Card. On my credit report, the debt is listed from the OC as a "Charge off" and "Account sold/transfered". The debt also has a $0 balance. The debt has been passed through two different collection agency's but neither of them has appeared on my credit report. Since only the OC is listed on the credit report, how would I go about paying the debt and to also remove the bad debt in which the OC reported? Should I try to pay the OC directly in exchange for a PFD?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Collection Agency Not Reporting Charge Off, Only OC Reports

Welcome to the forums.

Legally, the OC cannot take money if they sold the debt.

You can ask them who has the debt.  They may not know since it was sold.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

The OC is out of the picture as for any payments, and deletion of their reporting would require a GW request to them.

My bigger concern would be to avoid further damage via reporting of a collection.  You could pursue a pay for not reporting offer to the current owner.

If you are aware of other debt collectors, was that based on their sending of dunning notice?

Have you had any specific contacts with a debt collector?

Message 3 of 5
GameMaster1564
New Contributor

I have not contacted the agency since I cannot make any payments at the moment. I would most likely send a GW letter to the OC. If the GW letter fails, I would then just pay the collection agency. If the CA is not reporting, then how can the charge off be reported as "Paid charge off", if only the OC is listed?

Im sorry for so many questions, its just that I am 23 years old and I'm just starting to understand  the credit report process, and I want to have much better credit for my future. Thank you.

Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The OC is reporting a 0 balance and it says transferred/sold.  They are not going to care if it gets paid and their TL will not update to reflect if it does.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.