cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency Question

tag
kathryn99

Re: Collection Agency Question

So I guess I don't want to send a validation letter if it means we cannot negotiate the debt. Do you recommend sending them something formal asking them to do everything in writing and not via the phone?

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would contact the OC and ask for a full acounting of the payments made, and find out if its been sold or assigned.

Message 12 of 24
kathryn99

OK. I will start there. Thank you!

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

And if its been assigned, find out if they are willing to re-instate the original payment plan, if you make up the missed payments.

Message 14 of 24
kathryn99

OK. Thanks!

Message 15 of 24
kathryn99

So found out today (I have been out of town) that the original debtor has turned over the debt. There is now interest which is almost as much as what the balance left  was on the account. Nothing has hit any of our credit reports as of this point other than the inquirey from the collection agency. I asked if we paid the past due balance in full if we could just go back to our original arrangement and was told I would have to deal with the collection agency. I would be curious as to how the original paper work read regarding this situation. We no longer have it. My husband is wondering if we should get a lawyer involved so that we don't screw things up ourselves. I know one thing, we absolutely don't have $12,000 to pay these people off, and I am not about to go refinancing our house or anything like that. I'm not even sure that we could.

At this point, any words of advice. The one thing for certain is that I have to contact them and ask them to not call our employers. Should I do this in writing or is over the phone okay? I would prefer not to deal with them over the phone.

Thanks!!!

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inform them in writing that phone calls to your employer are not acceptable under any circumstances, and any calls to your home are to be considered inconvenient.

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

This one is kind of complicated and you may need to consult a legal expert on how to properly extricate yourself from this situation. You can probably find a low cost lawyer through NACA .

Message 18 of 24
kathryn99

Can I request a copy of all original signed documentation? The thing that really makes me wonder is that even when we were making payments before and had fallen behind, it was never reported on our credit report.

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't see why not. They should be able to provide a complete accounting of the entire account and payment history.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.