Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency Settlement?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Agency Settlement?

Hello,

Recently had a collections agency win a judgement on a CC debt of about 4k. Ive been paying 200 per month for a few months. Recently they said they would settle for $2600. I could probably pay this in full in about 3 months.

Questions:

How bad does the judgement itself impact my credit scores? This happened about 6 months ago.

Will setteilng for the reduced amount ($2600) now help (because its paid off?) or hurt (because its a reduced payoff) my credit score?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Agency Settlement?

Neither. FICO doesn't factor in settled vs PIFed. It just sees a judgment (even unpaid) as a judgment.

Your best bet score-wise is to negotiate a deletion (or rather, since it's a judgment and not "that easy" to delete -- a vacatur of the judgment). Ask the atty you're dealing with, if it's possible, if in return for paying in full (or, heck, try settling) they will file a motion to vacate for you. Some will. Some won't. But it's the best way to see a nice increase -- and get a pesky PR off your CRs.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the information. Any idea what the turnaround time would be in regards to an increase in my fico score if the attorney is able to vacate?

How much of an increase could I expect to see in my score?

Thanks again!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the information. Any idea what the turnaround time would be in regards to an increase in my fico score if the attorney is able to vacate?
How much of an increase could I expect to see in my score?
Thanks again!

Well, that would depend on the atty, the court and the CRAs, really. Unless you decided to actually send the documentation to the CRAs and dispute that way. If you did it that way, it would take roughly 30-45 days for the CRAs to investigate. Probably another couple of weeks for the results to promulgate through.

The sticky area is the updating. While it FEELS like it takes forever, it take anywhere from 1 day to several months. Without actually knowing WHO'S involved (meaning, the CA, the atty, the court, etc -- and even then, knowing would depend on having had experience WITH them), it's a crapshoot. :/

As for the amount you should see in terms of increase, that depends on the rest of your file. Was this the biggest and most recent baddie? If so, it might be a LOT. Or it might only be a wee bit -- if it's removal "rebuckets" you (meaning, you'll now be compared to the gajillion people withOUT a judgment on their CRs). If it's a rebucketing matter, that's a good thing since your score will rise even quicker over the long run!!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks fo the info.

Is it possible now that I have agreed to monthly payments with the CA, to PFD with a reduced amount?

They have already said that they would settle the 4K+ for 2600. Ideally i;d like to have this whole thing off my report though im sure its not likely.

Any more details on the "vacate" mentioned in the post above? what is that exactly?

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.