Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency Showing Old As New

tag
iBooger
Established Member

Collection Agency Showing Old As New

I have several collections that happened in 2011. Portfolio is showing that they are as new as 2015. The date it's supposed to fall off is correct, but it's making my score drop because the debt looks new. I have disputed, but it hasn't helped. Is there anything that I can do?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Collection Agency Showing Old As New

The open date is the date the collection was assigned or sold to the collection agency. If the DOFD is correct, then you can't really dispute the open date. Are they paid off?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection Agency Showing Old As New

Reporting by a debt collector is a positive statement that the debt is, and has remained delinquent, since the reported DOFD.

Thus, similar to updated reporting of an increased level of delinquency on an OC account from, for example, 60 to 90days, reporting by a debt collector effects scoring of the collection.  It is entirely a scoring factor and is not the reporting of a new debt, but rather the extended non-payment of any already delinquent debt.

However, updated reporting has no effect on when the collection becomes excluded.

Credit report exclusion for any collection, regardless of paid or unpaid, is based ONLY on the reported DOFD.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.