tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Agency Using Date they Purchased Account as Date Account Opened

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It is scheduled to drop off my report in 2011, so obviously they are correctly reporting the dofd. My problem with it is that I was denied credit due to "recent collection activity". There is nothing recent about this account other than the way it is being reported. Also, I am going off of my free credit report from annualcreditreport.com - I don't even know if potential creditors see the same info I see. It is definitely not worth fighting over. I was just curious about what the law says.

Smiley Very Happy

In all honesty sommery, THIS is all you need to be concerned with.  If you have this on your current credit report the CRA is stating given all the information furnished this is the date when the item is expected to drop off. Keep this report for your records.  By the way get the detailed report from one of the CRA's if you haven't becuase this will have their stamp on it and will be legally binding.

If anything changes on your report from here on out you can always go back to This month's report as proof that an inaccuracy has been stated.

I  was only attempting to explain the factors that go into creating That date, i apologize if it was confusing I never meant to confuse you.

Thank You! I understand. I appreciate your help! Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 23
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

There is nothing incorrect or wrong in an account reporting that way.  It is the day the CA bought or was assigned the account.  There is also nothing unethical about it.  Would it be more ethical for a CA to report they had an account 6 years before they actually did?   A CA can only report from the day they received the account.

There will be an entry pertaining to the OC as to when it went to collections.

It is the date reported date that is going to impact your score.

Actually, I never opened an account with them in 2008, so yes this is dishonest. And does in fact make it appear as if it is a newer debt that what it is. You have a right to believe what you want... And I have the right to disagree with you.

You are correct.  You did not open the account with them.  The OC did.  And the CA reported that to the CRAs.  Nothing illegal about that. 

Yes, you certainly can disagree with me.  But what I say is not of opinion, it is fact. 

You are correct that it is a fact that it is not illegal. But it is your opinion that it is ethical. FYI 

There is no written guidelines and/or laws as to when a CA reports their accounts to the CRAs.  Some don't report for years after they receive them in their office. 

Message 22 of 23
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

And this sniping back and forth is making this board less and less usful. I asked for a statement of fact, got it. I stated my opinion and you told me my opinion was incorrect and that your opinion was not an opinion at all but was fact. Just to recap. Have a nice day secure in you rightousness and correctness. I now know who to ask when I need the "factual opinion".

I was not talking about my opinion on it being ethical or not.  I was telling you that the reported date is what drops a score is a fact, not opinion.

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.