cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency lost my claim...what to do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Agency lost my claim...what to do?

Just sent him a message on Facebook. We'll see what he comes back with.

The other thing that my landlord did, which is illegal, is he invoiced all the roommates with 1/4 of the total amount (4 tenants) but when he sent it to collections, he included the "full" amount that he felt was unpaid. As I understand it, he cannot do that. Can anyone weigh in on this? I have googled extensively but can't find any conclusive answer.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anybody give me any info on what I mentioned above. If I was invoiced X dollars after the lease was up, legally the landlord cannot send more than that amount to collections, correct?
Message 12 of 21
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

While the old CA no longer is actively collecting, and has reported their collection as closed, they still reported a collection which is of record in your credit file.

The fact that it is closed does NOT preclude you from disputing its accuracy.

Again, I would send the old CA a direct dispute, offering your documention of asserting lack of any debt obligation, and thus disputing the accuracy of their reporting of a collection on a non-existent debt.

They must investigate, and either verify the accuracy of the debt under whatever manner they deem reasonable, and either report that verification back to you, or delete their reporting as unverifiable.  It is the accuracy of their reporting that is at issue, which is unrelated to the status of their current collection activities, or lack thereof.

Make them at least put on record that they have conducted the requirement investigation, and have obtained verification of the accuracy of the debt.

If they do a sham investigation, it might be grounds for later legal action.

I would CRA involvement entirely out of it.   They will sanitize your dispute, and possibly interject their own reinvestigation rights.  I would put the reporting party on the hot seat by way of direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8).

My suggestion is to do this. Even though the old CA doesn't own the debt anymore, they still need to verify the accuracy of the information they are reporting. Part of verifying the accuracy of the debt is verifying the amount of the debt. They will either remove the item from your credit reports if they can't (or don't want to) verify the accuracy, or they will claim that the information is verified. If they claim the information has been verified then you can move on to the next step, but don't worry about that unless and until they verify.

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I woke up this morning and pulled my CR through USAA like I do every morning. The 30 day limit from my disputes wasn't supposed to be up until Wed the 4th but as of this morning, this bogus collection has dropped off my EX. Still waiting on the other two but I'll take what I can get. Please tell me this isn't the sort of thing where it disappears for a day and then reappears.
Message 14 of 21
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well, I woke up this morning and pulled my CR through USAA like I do every morning. The 30 day limit from my disputes wasn't supposed to be up until Wed the 4th but as of this morning, this bogus collection has dropped off my EX. Still waiting on the other two but I'll take what I can get. Please tell me this isn't the sort of thing where it disappears for a day and then reappears.

I would pull EQ and TU right from here.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repo-ed wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would pull EQ and TU right from here.

They both have the "official" investigation end date listed as the 4th so I'll wait until then. Also, I subscribe to ScoreWatch so hopefully I'll get an alert when my EQ gets boosted.
Message 16 of 21
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Just be aware that SW won't send an update for an item dropping off the report, but if the score changes you'll get the score change alert 7-10 days from your last alert. Just mentioning this so you don't panic when you don't get an SW alert on the dropped item. Smiley Happy

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@atarvuzdar wrote:

Just be aware that SW won't send an update for an item dropping off the report, but if the score changes you'll get the score change alert 7-10 days from your last alert. Just mentioning this so you don't panic when you don't get an SW alert on the dropped item. Smiley Happy

Yep, unlike others on the board who don't do their homework, I researched it fully before subscribing. Thanks though! Smiley Wink
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU dropped off this morning. WOOT!! Expecting EQ to drop off tomorrow (or a few days later depending on how slow they decide to be).

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

EQ finally dropped off this morning. Glad to be rid of this nonsense.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.