Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency question

tag
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Collection Agency question

Im new to the message boards and need help with this. I checked all 3 credit reports and I have 2 medical collections on there from 2007. The collection agency is listing the loan type as COLLECTION AGENCY/ATTORNEY. Would that be accurate or misleading me to believe or trick me into calling them? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Collection Agency question

It may or may not be accurate, some attorneys do collections work.   Just do a search on the name of the CA to find more information.    You might also want to look into the statute of limitations for your state of residence to know where you stand if you do end up talking with them.    

I doubt that they are trying to trick you into calling them though.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

I live in IL and the statue of limitations for open acccounts debt collections is 5 Yrs. The name of the collection agency is MIRAMED REVENUE GROUP. website states nothing about attorneys just a collection company.

Message 3 of 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

If the sol is up, I'd try to settle with them for a full deletion.  Medical bills aren't that difficult to remove anyway, so they may be willing to go for it.  Of course, I would start at 25% and see what they say.  Get EVERYTHING in writing IF they agree to a deletion.  THEN, only then, make the payment.

Follow-Up with the bureau to make sure they took care of the deletion.

Keep all correspondence in a safe place for future reference.

Message 4 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Got a consumer attorney to remove the listing off my reports and he is going after the collection agency. They can't verify anything pertaining to the accounts and they can't list themselves as collections/attorney as a loan type.

Message 5 of 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

WAY TO GO!!!!!!  Let us know if you receive a score increase as well. Smiley Wink 

Message 6 of 8
reneern1
Valued Member

Congratulations!!! I also have medical bill that is listed as having a balance of 322.00 and the payment status on the CBA is listed as seriously past due/assigned to attorney

, collection agency, or credit grantors internal department. Was the verbiage here similar to your account? And what was your first step? What's really ironic about my case is that I paid this off last year but the CBA is showing a balance of 322.00. Unfortunately I can not find my receipt of payment. Ordered statements and can find the record of the payment strange!!

Starting Score: TU 517 - EQ 539
Current Score: TU 654 - EQ 657 - EX 641 FAKO
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

The collection agency is listing the loan type as COLLECTION AGENCY/ATTORNEY on mine. How did you pay yours off? Checking account? credit card? Certified check? All 3 CB's have to validate the debt through the OC not the CA when it comes to Medical Collections.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.