cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency question

tag
Purrpoze

Collection Agency question

I recently paid off a collection agency for a capital one acct. This agency is not yet showing up on any of my credit reports yet. Has there been any success with people negotiating after they've already paid? I want them to agree not to report it
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Purrpoze

Re: Collection Agency question

The CA is the northland group. & Also capitalone just updated my balance to reflect a 50 dollar difference, but the account is still listed as charge off/bad debt. At this point am I working with the Capital one to stop the CA from reporting or the CA directly?

If anyone has any thoughts please share!
Message 2 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You would need to work with the CA but it is already paid and you have little leverage to keep them from doing it now.

Why is Cap 1 still reporting a balance if you PIF?

It will always be reported as a charge off/bad debt, just paid.

Message 3 of 10
Purrpoze

Thanks for the response

I'm not sure what PIF is, but when the agency contacted me it says they are collecting on behalf of CapitalOne not sure if that makes a difference? And capitalone has always still had a balance throughout all of this & today I was alerted that it was lowered from 1k to 950
Message 4 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

PIF - Pay in Full

Is the account charged off or a collection account?  Is it closed?

Message 5 of 10
Purrpoze

The capital one account is closed. Im not sure if charged off/closed/bad debt means collections but i assumed so since Im dealing with a CA. The collection agency account is not showing on my account yet.

Here's some screenshots

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t376/yeahyeahyouknowit/f2f8c51a9358736f7b9bb09a471a65b3.jpg

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t376/yeahyeahyouknowit/e5c3f7e961142b7e58a69eb7e555712e.jpg
Message 6 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It is charged off.

When and how much did you pay the CA?  The Cap 1 account is only reflecting a $50 payment.

Message 7 of 10
Purrpoze

I've been paying the CA since December of 2012 and my last payment went in on last Friday

I paid the CA 900
Message 8 of 10
Purrpoze

And back in September capital one showed a balance for 1700....I'm really confused and didn't realize this until just now.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t376/yeahyeahyouknowit/3303993c8c0d7df5b2312635245f4357.jpg

The link is for a report from 09/2012

What does this mean?
Message 9 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It means that Cap 1 still owns the account and has been adding fees and interest to the account.  That is in addition to what you paid the CA.

If you paid the CA $900 and Cap 1 said you owed $1700, you still owe them around $800.  I would contact Cap 1 and see if they would accept the payment to the CA as a settlement.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.