Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency question.

tag
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Collection Agency question.

A CA can list a collection on your credit reports within the 7 yr credit reporting time period known as CRTP. You said the debt was paid in full to the first CA correct? If so the first CA had no right selling a paid in full account to another CA. Which it looks like what happen.

Message 11 of 24
legacys7
Regular Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

A CA can list a collection on your credit reports within the 7 yr credit reporting time period known as CRTP. You said the debt was paid in full to the first CA correct? If so the first CA had no right selling a paid in full account to another CA. Which it looks like what happen.

Let me clarify why I'd asked. This is just in case it's for a different bill. That's why I'd asked. Right now I'm waiting to find out if the bill is from same source. 

Message 12 of 24
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Gotcha!! If it's for a different bill the CA could list it on your credit report as long they are within the 7 yr CRTP.

Message 13 of 24
legacys7
Regular Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

Gotcha!! If it's for a different bill the CA could list it on your credit report as long they are within the 7 yr CRTP.

I see. If that is the case, I wonder why am I just hearing from them? Another question for you. Do C.A. always report bills that they collect to your C.R.? Or do they do it if you don't reply in a timely manner? 

Message 14 of 24
DaBears
Senior Contributor

99.9% of CA's will report to your credit reports. It's a way to prevent you from obtaining credit from another lender as they see a collection and say this consumer is not very good managing his bills etc. 

Message 15 of 24
legacys7
Regular Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

99.9% of CA's will report to your credit reports. It's a way to prevent you from obtaining credit from another lender as they see a collection and say this consumer is not very good managing his bills etc. 

I see. So what I need to do is, see if this was already reported. It's been since 2008 that the xray was done. Looks like it was given to them back in 2009.

Message 16 of 24
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Pull your credit reports from www.annualcreditreports.com You are allowed 1 free report from each of the 3 CRA's per year.

Message 17 of 24
legacys7
Regular Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

Pull your credit reports from www.annualcreditreports.com You are allowed 1 free report from each of the 3 CRA's per year.

Already done. I can't pull it until a month from now for free. As a matter of fact, I'd just off of the website. The only one that I have access to is Equifax. Nothing showed up on that report. Although it doesn't mean that it isn't on the others. 

Edit: I was able to get all 3 reports on Equifax. So it looks like there's nothing there that shows the Credit Report etc.

Message 18 of 24
legacys7
Regular Contributor

@G_kwr wrote:

The Statute of Limitations unless it is a judgment by a court is four years in California.

With the 4 yr statue of limitations here in California, can't the Collection Agency still report this debt on my report? 

Message 19 of 24
guiness56
Epic Contributor

State SOL has nothing to do with how long something can be repoted.  That is just the time frame for a law suit.

As long as the debt is not older than 7.5 years from the DoFD of the OC account, yes, they can still report.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.