cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Bureau of America - Any experiences?

tag
SanFranMatt
Frequent Contributor

Collection Bureau of America - Any experiences?

I have a collection with these guys for an AT&T landline.  After a DV, they sent statements from early 2006.  I've tried searching this website and google but I haven't found much info on them.  Anybody know if they're good with PFD's? 

I tried paying directly to AT&T but they said they already wrote off the account so they can't collect money for it. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Bureau of America - Any experiences?

Is the DOFD in 2006?  the statments that they sent....were they on ATT letterhead  just like the statments that you would receive from ATT?   Do they show when you missed your last payment?

Did you stop paying in 2006 or before?  If ATT sold the account then they can not accept payment. If they did not sell it then YES they can accept pays.

Call and ask for the addy to send a check on a collection account. Do not give them the name or phone #. Tell them that you are calling for someone else & lost the addy.

Then mail a letter asking for ATT to pull the assigned account back from the CA  for full payment.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 11-05-2008 10:47 PM
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

My AT&T collection was through Cavalry Portfolio Svcs.  The CA has had this account for 3+ years.  Just yesterday I spoke with AT&T and paid them!  I found this number (866-223-2720)  After asking to speak with a supervisor they accepted my payment.

The collection status may only be changed to paid instead of totally removed...but at least AT&T got the money and not a scum of the earth CA!

I plan to validate the debt when I get the letter from AT&T saying that I owe a 0 balance.  Try the above number and ask to speak with a supervisor when they tell you they can't do anything with it.  It worked for me!

Message 3 of 4
SanFranMatt
Frequent Contributor

I've been traveling so I haven't head a chance to tackle this before today.  I wound up calling 866-223-2720 and was told that they only handle Michigan accounts.  I was transferred to another number, but they only handled Illinois accounts!  After two more transfers I finally got to California.  They said the proper number here is 800-300-5099.

Initially they gave me Collection Bureau of America's contact information and said that I can pay them.  I asked if I can pay AT&T directly and they said I can pay by check over the phone.  (I don't know why they didn't just say that up front).  I asked if they would pull the account from the CA, and they said yes.  I'll receive a letter indicating $0 balance in 15 days, and they'll pull it from the CA.

Essentially that's the best case scenario....hopefully it pans out!

JMW, is Cavalry still showing on your reports?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.