Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Company Reported the Same Debt Twice, Using 2 Different Names

tag
Amatiq
Established Member

Collection Company Reported the Same Debt Twice, Using 2 Different Names

I got a call from a collection company in Oct 2013 regarding a debt I'd never been billed for, for an ER visit. I asked for written verfication of the original bill, so I could see if my ex would be partially responsible. They said they'd send it and give me 30 days to pay. Instead, they reported it the very same day.

Just last week, I negotiated a PFD (never did get verfication, but need a mortgage). It's good until Feb. 15th, which is when I said I'd pay. They called me 4 more times that day to harass me about paying RIGHT NOW.

Today they reported the same debt. They used a different collection agency name, but when I googled it, it's the same company. What do I do? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection Company Reported the Same Debt Twice, Using 2 Different Names

First off, are they both reporting a balance?  This is inaccurate if they are.  If one CA sells to another, the first should delete according to the guidebook.  I would contact them again and vocalize your concerns before payment.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 10
Amatiq
Established Member

Yes, they show the same balance. This company is Commonwealth Collections. This is almost certainly  not an error...Commonweath bought out Northeast Collections a few years ago. This is a deliberate retaliation. This company is notorious for unprofesional behavior...one agent made a payment arrangement with me and then reported it anyway. She called me to tell me what she'd done.

What I want to know is how to get it off...they aren't going to help me do that, they did it in the first place.

Message 3 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You have a verbal agreement, and you said they would send you a written agreement.  I would see what they sent with the written agreement.

July 2013 score:

Message 4 of 10
Amatiq
Established Member

Commonwealth sent me a written agreement already. It offers a settlement. It says I have until the 15th of Feburary to pay. Today, one week after I got the agreement, they have reported as of todays debt, as if it were a new collection. They used the company name "Northeast Collections". Northeast Collections is in fact the same company as Commonwealth Collections.

So now I show two companies collecting a debt of the same amount, with the same original date. But it shows up as two different collections.Commonwealth Collectons shows a debt of $711, Northeast Collections shows a debt o $711. If I pay the Commonwealth one, it won't get off the other one, and I doubt this is an innocent error.

Message 5 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I agree.  First off, 2 CAs cannot report a balance, it is a violation.  

July 2013 score:

Message 6 of 10
Amatiq
Established Member

So how should I proceed? I was going to pay off the one and then apply for a mortgage. How do I get them to remove the duplicate? I can't have a dispute and get a mortgage.

Message 7 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Just by my limited quick research I performed on them, they are one and the same company.  So any PFD/agreement should be take care of both.  I would however remind them they they are posted on your CR twice.  Once under the old name, once under the new.

July 2013 score:

Message 8 of 10
Amatiq
Established Member

ok, thanks

Message 9 of 10
down_n_out
Contributor

I just did a PFD for 3 medical coll with this company and they had the debts listed under both names. I got the PFD in writing via email. But they  said verbally once they delete both CA names will be deleted.  I not happy they duplicated mine too.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.