Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Error on Credit Report Question

tag
tullz85
Frequent Contributor

Collection Error on Credit Report Question

Hey Everyone! I'm 4 points away from purchasing my first home which is exciting! The downside is that there's a collection on my credit report I didn't see. I moved from my old apartment to another one in the May 13 time frame. There was an electric bill that I never received due to the fact of moving, and I received a bill from a CA for a balance of $199. I payed the balance to the OC and have a receipt, but there's still this collection on the account even though it's paid. My thoughts are that I should contact this CA and show them the receipt of payment to the OC and ask them for a removal on it. The CA used Equifax for it only too.
Any ideas?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection Error on Credit Report Question

Payment of a debt is not basis for deletion of any prior adverse items reported along the way.

They are required ony to close their collection and update to $0 balance under collection.

You can either call the debt collector and request that they delete, or call the OC and ask them to contact their former debt collector and requst on your behalf.

It is a good-will request.

Message 2 of 5
tullz85
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your help. Would it be wise to do both of the items you suggested?

Message 3 of 5
juju4242

Hi,

Since you paid to the OC call the CA and fax a copy of your paid recipt to them.  Since the debt is PIF they can no longer report it as  outstanding and they will remove it from your credit report.

Message 4 of 5
tullz85
Frequent Contributor

I actually told the CA that I paid the OC and they said they're removing it and will send me a copy because it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Thanks everyone! I should be on the way to owning a home soon Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.