Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Friendly

tag
xangoboy
Contributor

Collection Friendly

I was wondering if there are "collection friendly" credit card's? 

When I pay off my cards (which will be soon) I will only have an "unpaid" collection from 2 years ago on my report it's $3,000.  I'm trying to settle it, because I don't have the funds to pay it all off right now.  However, in the meantime I'm looking for some prime cards. 

Would Barclay's, Nordstrom, and Discover be issuers I should go for?  Chances there? 

Thank you! :-)

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Re: Collection Friendly

What are your scores? I got Capital One and Barclays when my scores were high 500s....Discover declined me with EQ 650 because of charged off and collection accounts; my collections were all paid.

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 11
xangoboy
Contributor

Scores are high 500's low 600's.  Fico score simulator says it will jump considerably after utilization comes down, around mid to high 600's. 

I'm just concerned about the collection, because it's unpaid. 

Anyone else had any experiences with getting approved for credit card with unpaid collection account? 

Message 3 of 11
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Actually, now that I think about it, I had two unpaid collections (Midland Credit Management) one for The Gap and one for Verizon wireless....Capital One I had lots of baddies though including two tax liens and a judgment. 

Message 4 of 11
xangoboy
Contributor

@newmomnewme wrote:

Actually, now that I think about it, I had two unpaid collections (Midland Credit Management) one for The Gap and one for Verizon wireless....Capital One I had lots of baddies though including two tax liens and a judgment. 

That's good to know, thanks again for this info, it really helps. My collection account is with Midland.  So Barclay's seems like a good bet, know anything about Nordstrom and their guidelines?  I know people had luck with Nordstrom on this forum, and had success with recons, but I dont' want to waste a HP if there's a chance of denial due to open collection. 

Message 5 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Barclays NFL card was my first actual CC when I got back into the credit world.  So I still show it some love when I can.  I still had a couple of collections when I got it, and they took a chance on me.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 11
xangoboy
Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Barclays NFL card was my first actual CC when I got back into the credit world.  So I still show it some love when I can.  I still had a couple of collections when I got it, and they took a chance on me.

That's awesome to hear, and it gives me much more confidence.  I appreciate you sharing that!  :-)   Would the Barclay's NFL be easier to obtain than the Rewards MC?  Or it really doesn't matter because they are both issued by Barclays? 

Message 7 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@xangoboy wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

That's awesome to hear, and it gives me much more confidence.  I appreciate you sharing that!  :-)   Would the Barclay's NFL be easier to obtain than the Rewards MC?  Or it really doesn't matter because they are both issued by Barclays? 

Good question.  I actually don't know the answer to that.  Barclays did give me a good initial CL of $2500 and after 6 months or so, they raised it to $4800.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 11
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@xangoboy wrote:

@newmomnewme wrote:

That's good to know, thanks again for this info, it really helps. My collection account is with Midland.  So Barclay's seems like a good bet, know anything about Nordstrom and their guidelines?  I know people had luck with Nordstrom on this forum, and had success with recons, but I dont' want to waste a HP if there's a chance of denial due to open collection. 

I am sooooo sorry your collection is with Midland (ugh, they can be $#!% bags)....IDK about Nordstrom, I've heard all about the shopping cart trick, but I have NEVER had any luck with it. 

Message 9 of 11
xangoboy
Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

@xangoboy wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

Good question.  I actually don't know the answer to that.  Barclays did give me a good initial CL of $2500 and after 6 months or so, they raised it to $4800.

Thanks again for this.  I'll do more research, or hopefully someone can reply here with an answer.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.