Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Is Back!

tag
scoates0
Established Member

Collection Is Back!

Hi everyone. I need som guidance on what to do. I have two medical bills with the same collection agency. One for $1422 and one for $78. The company that is reporting them no longer own the debt and sent me a letter stating that they no longer owned the debt and that it would be removed from my credit report in 60 - 90 days. It actually was gone within two weeks (and that was in the beginning of November) but last week it came back  on Equifax only.

I know that if they no longer own the debt they can no longer legally report it any more. So my question is what do I do to get this off of my credit report once again? I am so pissed because I am suppose to close on a new home in about a month and I know this is going to throw a wrench into my plans! Any sugggestions are greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Is Back!

Sounds like someone else purchased the debt.  I would pull my Equifax credit report, and see whomever is the company that is listed now as owning the debt.  Often times, collectors sell to other collectors- which is known as junk collectors.

But just because it is sold, would not necessarily indicate that whomever has it, is the legitimate holder of your debt.  This should be confirmed/denied.  How old has it been in collections?  What was the date of first deliquency?

Message 2 of 5
scoates0
Established Member

The FDOD is 11/2014. The company that is showing is the original collection agency (Gulf Coast Collections) that says that they no longer own the debt and that they would delete it from my credit report.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@scoates0 wrote:

The FDOD is 11/2014. The company that is showing is the original collection agency (Gulf Coast Collections) that says that they no longer own the debt and that they would delete it from my credit report.

Probably a mistake on the part of the CA with their automated reporting process. I would dispute with the CRA stating that the CA no longer has collection authority for this debt.

You need to find out who has purchased it so you can settle it before it gets reported by the new owner.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@scoates0 wrote:

Probably a mistake on the part of the CA with their automated reporting process. I would dispute with the CRA stating that the CA no longer has collection authority for this debt.

You need to find out who has purchased it so you can settle it before it gets reported by the new owner.

Just add I was going to reply back, I see that NormanFH replied. I got timed out by my tablet Web browser. 

Was going to say the same thing, and dispute it add you have the letter, but also suggest to try and work out an agreement with the new collectors before the report it negatively. To me this wrote be critical because of you trying to purchase a home in the very future. 

In addition, there still lots of reporting left due to the fact of FDOD.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.