Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Letter Help not sure what to do

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Letter Help not sure what to do

Hello everyone,

I am new here. I have been working on my credit and have 2 items in collections currently in dispute. so i have a few questions but before i ask about the items on my report i have an urgent question.

i just got a letter from a collection agency that does not appear on my  current reports. its an old citi account which i owe 4,000. i saw from an old report that account will stop being reported on 5/2019.  i am afraid that if i call the collection company theyll put it on my report.  i read that if i write to verify the account  it will raise a red flag.The collection company is Calvary. What should i do? will they start reporting onjce i contact them?

My scores are 720 trans and 701 equfax which just dropped from 730 because one of the collections which has been reporting since 2013 just decided to report to them after i called and requested a pay for delete.when i saw it on my credit report. it expires from my report on  may 2018

They are ICT system ,i got a letter from them with a settlement offer which did not mention the pay for delete on it by the way. it just said update appropiately. This sounded fishy to me so i filed for a transunion dispute saying i have no knowledge of this debt. which i didnt until i saw it on report. i have not heard from transunion yet. but let's say they dont take it off should i pay it anyway. would it lower my score if i do?

i am not sure if i should proceed based on their verbal agreement to delete after payment.  should i call back requesting another letter.What do u think i should do?

next collection is from sunrise and its so recent .It's for an att bill they reported 6/17 and 7/17  it went in default 4/17. I called to ask for a pay for delete they said no. This one appears only in experian.I saw in a forum that i should dispute with no contract comment which i am currently in the process. Anyhow if it doesnt come off with the dispute should i pay it off fully or settle being that this will be on my credit report for 7 plus years. 

i want to pay both bills i just dont want them in my report so even if they come off i plan on calling them to pay. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Re: Collection Letter Help not sure what to do

Hi brije2131 and welcome to myFICO community!

On your first and urgent question, you mentioned that you have an old citi account that you owe $4K on. Now you have a collection agency going after you for that old debt?
Here's how I would tackle that if it was me;
I would dig and identify that acct and find out the DoFD (Date of First Delinquency) which is typically the date my last payment made before it went delinquent. Then I would find out my State's Statute of Limitations (SOL). The reason why is because I want to be able to take away the debt collector's biggest upper hand!
Essentially, these collectors are just debt buyers. They purchase these debts from banks/lenders for pennies-on-a-dollar then make money off of people.
Their biggest upper hand is their ability to sue you in court just to collect the debt and in turn realize their profits!
Google your State's SOL and see if that debt is past that. If it is then the debt becomes "Time-Barred". Meaning, they can no longer sue you in order to collect the debt. If that old citi debt is past your State's SOL, I would just disregard that letter and never reply either by phone or mail as it will just motivate them to further pursue you. But watch out for any more mails from them in the future as it's been a known tactic with these collectors to still file a suit hoping you won't show up and get a "defaul judgement" against you. Very unlikely but if they go that rout then contact a lawyer as that's a case that will be dismissed easily since it's Time-Barred and a violation of the State's SOL.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 2 of 5
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Here's a website you can learn a lot ;

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0117-time-barred-debts
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 3 of 5
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

If you just received the letter on the Citi account, expect it to probably show up on your report soon, especially if you ignore it.

IC System agreed verbally to delete the accounts upon payment? If so, I would call them back and ask them to email you a letter stating that.

Regarding Sunrise, you could always attempt to settle and then begin a goodwill removal request. Since it's very new, they may not settle for less than owed, but it's always worth a try.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 5
MrTom
Frequent Contributor

Calvary is in my opition one of the 2 worst collection companies out there.  Take advantage of your validation rights, it sounds like its hot of the press so it could buy you some time.   What is the DoFD on the CitiAccount?  Not that I want to encurage stiffing someone because we should own up and resolve our debts, but Calvary is a tough cookie and if I could redo my dealings with them again, I would of asked for Validation with proof of ownership, not a letter saing they bought it but proof they own it.  I would of also verified the dates, and I would of recorded and documented all calls made to my work.  But you need to contact a collection company within 30 days of receiving a letter for your validations and verifications, if you dont the debt is considered valid after 30 days, meaning reporting time.  If you contact them you get extra time to review.  As much as I hate to suggest it, Calvary you may need a loop hole.

I had a collection with IC System once.  I asked for a PFD they never responded.  I paid the collection anyway and seen  they deleted it.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am new here. I have been working on my credit and have 2 items in collections currently in dispute. so i have a few questions but before i ask about the items on my report i have an urgent question.

i just got a letter from a collection agency that does not appear on my  current reports. its an old citi account which i owe 4,000. i saw from an old report that account will stop being reported on 5/2019.  i am afraid that if i call the collection company theyll put it on my report.  i read that if i write to verify the account  it will raise a red flag.The collection company is Calvary. What should i do? will they start reporting onjce i contact them?

My scores are 720 trans and 701 equfax which just dropped from 730 because one of the collections which has been reporting since 2013 just decided to report to them after i called and requested a pay for delete.when i saw it on my credit report. it expires from my report on  may 2018

They are ICT system ,i got a letter from them with a settlement offer which did not mention the pay for delete on it by the way. it just said update appropiately. This sounded fishy to me so i filed for a transunion dispute saying i have no knowledge of this debt. which i didnt until i saw it on report. i have not heard from transunion yet. but let's say they dont take it off should i pay it anyway. would it lower my score if i do?

i am not sure if i should proceed based on their verbal agreement to delete after payment.  should i call back requesting another letter.What do u think i should do?

next collection is from sunrise and its so recent .It's for an att bill they reported 6/17 and 7/17  it went in default 4/17. I called to ask for a pay for delete they said no. This one appears only in experian.I saw in a forum that i should dispute with no contract comment which i am currently in the process. Anyhow if it doesnt come off with the dispute should i pay it off fully or settle being that this will be on my credit report for 7 plus years. 

i want to pay both bills i just dont want them in my report so even if they come off i plan on calling them to pay. 

Starting Score: May 23, 2016 EQ 537 TU 518 EX 548
Recent Scores: EQ 839 TU 824 EX 821
Goal Score: 840
Current Vantage 3.0: 808
Mortgage Scores August 18 2017: EQ5 684 TU4 692 EX2 690
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.