cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Notice after 12yrs?!?!?! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tag
happy101
New Contributor

Collection Notice after 12yrs?!?!?! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question: I just recieved a Convergent Outsourcing collection notice from an account that went to charge off in 1999 from Sprint Communications Calling Card that was popular back then.  I though after 7 to 8 years it would have fallen off. I don't see it on myfico report for Transunion or Equifax.  My friends said I should not pay it, because if I do it will probably report to the credit agencies.  I have no credit woes and have a prettty decent fico score after alot of hard work. I don't want something that I did as a silly college student to pop back up after 12 years to ruin my credit standing!!! Please, advise as to what should I do about this situation?????????

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
JuJuBee84
Regular Contributor

Re: Collection Notice after 12yrs?!?!?! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 7 years it cannot be reported to the credit bureaus. However I would still go ahead and pay it if you can.

I am sure by now the SOL has expired. What state do you live in?

Message 2 of 11
Guava
Established Contributor

Check your state "statue of limitation" (SOL). For most states (except Kentucky and Ohio, I think), 12 years is way past SOL, you can send them a cease communication letter and be done with them

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 11
happy101
New Contributor

I live in Alabama.....

Message 4 of 11
p-
Valued Contributor

@happy101 wrote:

Question: I just recieved a Convergent Outsourcing collection notice from an account that went to charge off in 1999 from Sprint Communications Calling Card that was popular back then.  I though after 7 to 8 years it would have fallen off. I don't see it on myfico report for Transunion or Equifax.  My friends said I should not pay it, because if I do it will probably report to the credit agencies.  I have no credit woes and have a prettty decent fico score after alot of hard work. I don't want something that I did as a silly college student to pop back up after 12 years to ruin my credit standing!!! Please, advise as to what should I do about this situation?????????

I had one like this - send them a sternly worded CMRR DV Letter and you'll likely never hear from them again.  

These are bottom feeders; they prey on the uninformed.  In 2008 I got a letter from one CA offering a settlement for a debt, and when I called for more information, I found out it was from 2000.  I told them it wasn't mine, and it was too old anyway.  The rep said he had me on caller ID and would just keep calling until I paid.  So, I sent them a DV letter CMRR, ordering no phoce calls, and they never called me again.  They never even bothered to respond to the DV.  About 6 months later I got a letter from an attorney about the debt (another CA that bought it), and promptly sent them the same DV letter certified mail, and that is the last I have heard on the subject.  

That phone rep really pissed me off.  I tried to be reasonable and he went right to the scare tactics and rudeness.  I kept all the certs, hoping they would voilate so I could sue, but they just went away. 

DV, do it certified, and it will likely disappear.

Message 5 of 11
Guava
Established Contributor

For written contracts, Alabama SOL is 6 years, so you're fine! Send them a cease communication letter stating the debt is past SOL. If it does crop up on your reports, you can simply dispute it for the same reason

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
JuJuBee84
Regular Contributor

Was it a credit card? SOL is 3 years for credit cards and 6 years for written agreements in your state so you are way past that time.

Message 7 of 11
happy101
New Contributor

It was a calling card from Sprint Communications

Message 8 of 11
happy101
New Contributor

Thank you so much! 

Message 9 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

+1 to the other comments, they are waaaaaaayy past SOL and certainly past CRTP. Tell them to cease and desist via CMRRR.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.