cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Notice lacks Creditor information - Is this challengable?

tag
phxphun
New Contributor

Collection Notice lacks Creditor information - Is this challengable?

I've received a collection notice that has no 'Current Creditor' listed anywhere in the notice.  There is a 'Current Servicer' given, but the two places where the form letter says 'current creditor' it is followed by a blank space.

The other thing is, I had actually settled the debt in full 3 days after the date stated in the notice as the date the 'debt was created'.

Now I'm just wondering what is the quickest, least-hassle way to address this.  Should I go down the DV path or is challenging it due to the missing Creditor a better way to go?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Re: Collection Notice lacks Creditor information - Is this challengable?

You know who the creditor is since you PIF.  The main objective is to head off any negative CR from the collection item. 

I would call and follow up in writing to the OC who you paid, saying "I paid this item in full on this date, subsequently I received the enclosed notice which crossed in the mail.  Please ensure the full payment is reflected on my account, and that the Collection Agency is notified that the account has been paid in full."   Enclose proof of payment if you have it (cancelled check or check image from your bank).  Send a copy of the correspondence to the CA, with a letter stating that the account is PIF and any reporting to CRA would be inaccurate and barred by the FCRA, any further collection activity is barred by the FDCPA.  Send the letters CMRRR.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@phxphun wrote:

I've received a collection notice that has no 'Current Creditor' listed anywhere in the notice.  There is a 'Current Servicer' given, but the two places where the form letter says 'current creditor' it is followed by a blank space.

The other thing is, I had actually settled the debt in full 3 days after the date stated in the notice as the date the 'debt was created'.

Now I'm just wondering what is the quickest, least-hassle way to address this.  Should I go down the DV path or is challenging it due to the missing Creditor a better way to go?

Who is the collection notice from? 

Who did you settle with?  (The OC?)

Is this reporting to the CRA's??

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 6
phxphun
New Contributor

Thanks chasmith. I will take your advice.

Message 4 of 6
phxphun
New Contributor

BungalowMo,

The notice is from Compass Resolution Services.

I settled with the Servicer, who was acting on behalf of the OC.

I don't know yet if it is being reported.

Thanks for your feedback.

Message 5 of 6
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Is the OC still reporting?  Are they reporting the balance (total minus settlement)? Or if it's reporting is it saying $0 bal?

Did the servicer mention this had been sent to collections??  Or by "servicer", are you referring to the CA?

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.