Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Payoff or Credit Card Payoff - HELP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Payoff or Credit Card Payoff - HELP

Hi myFICO,

About a year ago I defaulted on a private student loan during a financial hardship and since then I have been working to improve my credit. Now I have the money to payoff the defualted loan, which is approximately $11k, but I also have some high-interest credit card debt. The interest on the defaulted loan is around 4%, which is of course much lower than the credit cards. I am wondering if I am better off using the money I've saved to payoff the defaulted loan to payoff my credit cards instead? I am not sure how each affects my credit score or if deafulted interest is higher but they both leave me with approxicamtely $200/month in payments and seemingly paying off the credit cards would save me on interest. Could any of you kind folks suggest the best way forward?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Payoff or Credit Card Payoff - HELP

Seems like a no-brainer to me, 4% vs 20+%. As long as you are confident you can keep up on the payment arrangements, pay the credit card debt. Your scores and your wallet will benefit.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.