Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Question

tag
Nolan34
Contributor

Collection Question

Hopefully I placed this in the right section...anyways about 3 years ago I had a utility account fall into the hand of a collection agency. Before paying they said they would mark it "as paid" and should be good to go on my credit report....Since then I have been able to get 0% financing on a new car and several major credit card but recently was declined on a Citi card. On the summary, it mentioned a "public record/collection". Can I call the collection agency and challange to get that collection removed from my report?

Any help would be great!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Collection Question

Since it is paid you can send them a GW letter asking for its removal.  Not sure what you mean by challenge.

Message 2 of 9
los_west
Regular Contributor

I would first obtain a copy of your credit reports to see what is being reported....just to make sure everything is accurate, and indeed belongs to you.

If the collection account is paid for, you can GW them and see if they would remove the tradeline.  If you have documentation that the company provided to you that promised they would delete, that's even better....maybe something just fell through the cracks.

But it is my understanding that paid or not, collection agency tradelines are reported as negative.  The experts here can verify or clarify that for you.

Starting Score: (04/18/2013) EX 572, TU 577, EQ 554
Currently: (12/2014) EX ?, TU ?, EQ 766 (new version)
Lender Pull (12/03/14): EX 759, TU 750, EQ 766
Message 3 of 9
Nolan34
Contributor

Sorry to ask a dumb question here...what is a GWSmiley Sad

Message 4 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Not a dumb question.  GW - Good Will letter.  Look in my signature for a list of common abbreviations.

Message 5 of 9
Nolan34
Contributor

Is there an example letter I can find to send to them?

Message 6 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

There is a GW example in Other Frequently Requested Threads in my signature.  Use it only as a template and make it your own.

Message 7 of 9
Nolan34
Contributor

Thanks!!

When I send this letter, is there any advice you can give me?

Its utility bill from 2010

Message 8 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Just be honest.  Let them know you paid it as soon as you found out about it and if they would make a goodwill adjustment and remove it from your CRs.  Something like that.

You can send regular snail mail or email them if you can find an email address for them.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.