Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Question

tag
Goodscore81
Regular Contributor

Collection Question

I have a collection from 2010 reporting on my EX report.  Last reported 9/2010 for $80.  This is from a village ticket that my DH received for parking on the street after hours.  I called the CA to see if I could do a PFD.  They said no but they would update as paid.   The rep told me that the amount owed is $50, which is different than what's reporting.  If I dispute, is there a chance that this could be deleted because its showing the wrong amount?  I'm afraid that if I dispute, it will just be updated and the new date will make more relevant.

2700........ 1000........ 500...... 2590...... 2300.....20,110...... 2250...... 2100.......1700..... 1850..... 5000..... 5000..... 2188.....6000....3000
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Collection Question

The only thing they would have to do is update to the correct amount, not delete the TL.

And yes, being that it has not updated for 3 years, ANY thing, including payment, will update it to a current date and drop your score.

Message 2 of 9
p-
Valued Contributor

@Goodscore81 wrote:

I have a collection from 2010 reporting on my EX report.  Last reported 9/2010 for $80.  This is from a village ticket that my DH received for parking on the street after hours.  I called the CA to see if I could do a PFD.  They said no but they would update as paid.   The rep told me that the amount owed is $50, which is different than what's reporting.  If I dispute, is there a chance that this could be deleted because its showing the wrong amount?  I'm afraid that if I dispute, it will just be updated and the new date will make more relevant.

Try contacting the original creditor, i.e. the court clerk and see if they will accept payment for the original amount.  Once that posts, the CA will not be allowed to collect and you can dispute it.

Message 3 of 9
Goodscore81
Regular Contributor

Thanks all.  Will do!

2700........ 1000........ 500...... 2590...... 2300.....20,110...... 2250...... 2100.......1700..... 1850..... 5000..... 5000..... 2188.....6000....3000
Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Once paid, regardless of who you remit payment, the collection becomes closed, as there is no longer a debt to collect.

The debt collector is then required to update their reporting by closing the collection, and reporting $0 remaiining under their collection.

The FCRA places no requirement that the collection be deleted.  It is still accurate, once updated, in its reporting that they had collection authority on the debt.

Thus, there is no basis under the FCRA for disputing the accuracy of their prior reporting based on payment of the debt.

You might challenge based on a provision of the CRA reporting manual that instructs debt collectors to delete if their collection authorty has been terminated.

How the CRA might handle such a "dispute" appears to remain an unanswered question.

In my opinion, in your situation, the collection is automtically terminated at the moment of payment to the OC, and thus there would be no prior rescission of the collection authority upon which to base the CRA instruction to delete.  That provision appears primarily to cover debt collectors who have their authority terminated, with the debt remaining outstanding, and thus intended to prevent plural collections of record on the same debt.

Message 5 of 9
p-
Valued Contributor

RobertEG wrote:You might challenge based on a provision of the CRA reporting manual that instructs debt collectors to delete if their collection authorty has been terminated.  How the CRA might handle such a "dispute" appears to remain an unanswered question.

I was lucky; when I paid AT&T direct, then disputed the CA, it was deleted.  I assume the CA doesn't bother to update or confirm disputes on items that they can no longer collect on.

On the other hand, when I paid a CA dierectly (before I was wise) I later could not get a deletion, now matter what.

I'm guessing YMMV.

Message 6 of 9
Goodscore81
Regular Contributor

So many unknowns.... I will see if I can remit to the village and pray that the CA removes it.  Thanks!

Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You might request the OC to contact their debt collector, and request them to delete. 

That might carry more weight than a request only from the consumer.

Message 8 of 9
p-
Valued Contributor

@Goodscore81 wrote:

So many unknowns.... I will see if I can remit to the village and pray that the CA removes it.  Thanks!

Pay the village people for sure.  But then, do more than pray.  After a month or so to make sure the CA has the info, go ahead and dispute with the CRA.  Nothing to lose!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.