Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Verification Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Verification Question

Rebuilding here Smiley Happy My husband and I recentely disputed a few items on our report. His Equifax came back and there was an item that was "verified". Can we request more information on this verification? I would like to get the specifics on the original debt, but they are not listed with the verification. Is there another step I can take without going straight to the collection agency? 

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Verification Question

@Anonymous wrote:

Rebuilding here Smiley Happy My husband and I recentely disputed a few items on our report. His Equifax came back and there was an item that was "verified". Can we request more information on this verification? I would like to get the specifics on the original debt, but they are not listed with the verification. Is there another step I can take without going straight to the collection agency? 

Thank you! 

No, not really. You will need to contact them (the CA) for validation/verification of the debt if you do not recognize it. Send them a DV letter under FDCPA, or if you are in Texas, send them a Texas DV letter.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you have filed a dispute and they have verified the accuracy of whatever you disputed, then filing a DV will almost assuredly produce the same verification.

Verification does not normally require the production of documentation or proof of the validity.

Additionally, if it has been more than 30 days since the debt collector sent dunning notice, then a DV at this point would not be timely, and the debt collector could simply ignore the request and continue business as usual.

Have you attempted to contact the OC and ask them for information regarding the debt that originated with them?

Any such contact would be informal, as the DV process does not apply to creditors.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Calling the OC today! Thanks for the info!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.