Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection account help

tag
bay75
Established Member

Collection account help

I have a Safeco insurance company that gave me a problem a few years back. I had took out an insurance policy with this company. I had paid the insurance first month had it set up so they would auto draft and just never paid attention that they didnt auto draft my insurance the next month the funds were in the account. 2 months goes by and they try and slap me with a 294.00 insurance bill. I refused to pay because this was suppose to have already been drafted for the month before. They turned this over to a collection agency. This is the info on it what should I do to get it off credit report?

Safeco date assigned 10/01/2004  Date reported 1/1/2009 last activity date 7/1/2004 should I send a DV letter to the collection company for them to Verify? Under the company that is collecting it has this(905yc00310) not an actual name of a company that is collecting.  

Also I have a First Premier old credit card I owed $140 but they are saying the balance is $434 and on my husbands it shows even more $600.00 this was a joint account. showing opened 4/2004 last reported 7/2005 just trying to fix my credit need to buy a house and think getting some of this off would greatly help me but need guidance on what to do .

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection account help

If you haven't already, pull your free annual reports-- see link below. These reports come directly from the CRA and provide the name of the CA(where a 3rd party report might not), as well as valuable information, such as the DOFD.

On the First Premier-- is a CA reporting? Is it reporting as a CO? Are you beyond SOL? Can you PIF? What is the DOFD?

On the insurance account-- is only the CA reporting? What is the DOFD?

Message 2 of 9
bay75
Established Member

Pulled reports Safeco looks as though it is with a collector. opened 10/2004 date of status 12/2004 term 1 month N/A high Balance Reported since 11/2004 last reported 1/2009 Im not sure about the SOL I think it isnt outside of it yet. I also have a question about inquiries. a couple of years ago I went into a Victoria Secrets I was told if I filled out a little card that they would give me an additional 20 % off my order. I just recently noticed on there that it looks like they pulled by credit or inquired can they do that without you giving them the right to do that because I didnt give them the right.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The date opened is the date the CA got the account normally.

You need DOFD-- which will only be on a EQ report directly from EQ or removal date which will only be on an EX or TU report directly from EX or TU.

As for the inquiry-- it should only remain for 2 years. The scoring formula counts it for 1 year.  Is it a hard of soft? What was the date of it?

When you signed that card, you likely gave them permission.

Message 4 of 9
bay75
Established Member

In response to the First Premier Credit Card. My husband just received yesterday a collection letter this account was in Arrow Financial Services hands they sold it to Northland Group Inc. they are saying we own $600.85 we really only owed 140.00. They are reporting the $600.85 on his but only 140.00 on my credit report. They are offering us a settlement of $300.43 and says the account will be satisfied and closed and a release letter will be issued. That we have 30 days to respond. What should I do. I really want this off of my credit report. This account was opened in 4/2004 last activity showing 7/2005 on my credit report. What is the difference in Debt Verification and Debt Validation. What would you suggest we do?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Arrow or Northland reporting?

If Arrow is reporting and sold the account......they must remove.

If Northland owns the account and is not reporting, DV and if they respond properly, then send a pay for not reporting agreement.

Message 6 of 9
bay75
Established Member

Arrow last reported 10/2008 and reporting with a balance of 600 Date of first Del 7/2005 on this account. Had not had any other company report on this until we just got this letter yesterday.  Mine has not been reported on since 2004. Not sure why? Maybe that is good? Do I need to send a Debt Validation or Verification letter which one? Should we send it on my husbands account first since my name isnt on the collection letter and then see what happens from there.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If beyond SOL or you can PIF, then DV both CAs.
Message 8 of 9
Cinnnamon
New Contributor

For the victoria secret did you read what it says. It was a short credit card application and if it asked for you ssn, contact information, they have a right to pull your credit report as this was part of the 20% off your total purchase. They was supposed to tell you also if it didnt have any ssn and info stuff. 

As far as Safeco Insurance, if you have a contract to pay on your insurance, regardless if they didn't take it out  from the Autopay in time. Your still liable for the months you owe. They provided you coverage and you are still liable. Always send them money by a money order or check. This shows you also have proof of payment to them if anything shady arise from them saying they didn't receive payment(for example.) Even if you refuse to pay (not a good idea unless they overcharged you.), it best to look at your statement and find out any amounts owed. And the "date reported" on your credit report sometimes is the date that Experian, Equifax, or Transunion does their update as if the creditor/ca reports the item being accurate, it not always the CA trying to re-age the account.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.