Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection account paid in full, reporting as current collection still

tag
rkb84
Contributor

Collection account paid in full, reporting as current collection still

After going at it with these people at MS Services for months, I just paid in full due to a pending mortgage app, I know I screwed up since it was paid a month ago, they are reporting it as current and unpaid again in December. How should I go about this? I have online disputes with Experian and TU, heck the Experian came back next day and that's when it said "updated" in December with the whole thing still unpaid. Really mad about this I am sick of this place, I just did a BBB dispute also, next steps?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection account paid in full, reporting as current collection still

Since paid, call and write in some GWs. IMO, avoid the BBB.

Message 2 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  Don't pull out the big guns until you've exhausted the normal channels.   Send a GW and ask for update or deletion.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 8
tmobileguy
New Contributor

So you paid and they refused to update it as paid, and then you paid it again?? That is a complete violation of FCRA and you would be entitled to any damages that were incured.... 

Starting Score: EQ 575 EX 595 TR 524
Current Score: EQ 643 EX ??? TR 638
Goal Score: EQ 300 EX 300 TR 300

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
rkb84
Contributor

Sorry if I worded it wrong, I paid once.. in full. And a month later they updated my credit report as unpaid/delinquent/ outstanding balance as of December. And the account wasn't even re-reported since June. It's like when I finally paid them they went out of the way to screw me again by reporting current/unpaid.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They have a legal requirement under FCRA 623(a)(2) to "promptly" update any prior reporting, as necessary to maintain its accuracy.

No specific time period is set forth, so the argument would be that more than one reporting period is clearly not "prompt."

I would begin, not by way of BBB complaint, but rather formal complaint to the FTC.

Additionally, to get them on record within a 30'ish day period as stating that they have conducted a reasonable investigation of the accuracy of their reporting, and that their records support its accuracy, I would send them a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8), asserting the inaccuracy as failure to comply with section 623(a)(2).

Verification of accuracy on their part would then be of record, and the issue of either not conducting a reasonable investigation, or of not reporting a result supported by a reasonable investigation, would be established.

I would not hold back on either/or an FTC complaint or a direct dispute based on any concern for their reaction.  They are doing continued damage by failing to show others pulling your credit report the fact of the satisfaction of the debt.... a substantial adverse affect.

Message 6 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

They have a legal requirement under FCRA 623(a)(2) to "promptly" update any prior reporting, as necessary to maintain its accuracy.

No specific time period is set forth, so the argument would be that more than one reporting period is clearly not "prompt."

I would begin, not by way of BBB complaint, but rather formal complaint to the FTC.

Additionally, to get them on record as stating that they have conducted a reasonable investigation of the accuracy of their reporting, and that their records support its accuracy, I would send them a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8), asserting the inaccuracy as failure to comply with section 623(a)(2).

I would not hold back on either/or an FTC complaint or a direct dispute based on any concern for their reaction.  They are doing continued damage by failing to show others pulling your credit report the fact of the satisfaction of the debt.... a substantial adverse affect.

I agree with all of this!    In my opinion, you should leverage your mortgage broker to do a rapid rescore of the account using the payment receipt from where you paid.  The mortgage companies have a lot more power and more teeth, because if you get denied for a mortgage due to inaccurate reporting, they have every right to sue the furnisher for screwing up their loan origination. 

My mortgage broker was able to work miracles for me and was able to get an inaccurate tradeline completely deleted.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 8
rkb84
Contributor

Just filed an FTC complaint thanks for the advice, done with these scum it's time to play hardball.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.