Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection account placed on hold

tag
mrshulkisloislane
New Contributor

Collection account placed on hold

I have a collection account on my reports from ERC for Sprint. I called to request information on the debt. They could not provide me any specifics only that it was for an account period from 02/2014-2016.
I advised them that I dispute this as I didn't have Sprint service during that time frame.
I received a letter that states "This will acknowledge that, based on the information you provided to our office, your account has been placed in a hold status and that collection efforts have ceased at this time. This letter is not an attempt to collect a debt.

Should I do anything further i.e. dispute with bureaus again. I have disputed it with all 3 bureaus which the agency acknowledged during the phone call.
10/17 453-TU, 511-EQ, 544-EX
01/18 560-TU, 574-EQ, 542-EX
04/18 629-TU, 650-EQ, 617-EX 1st goal 600's across the board *goal met 04/1/18
next goal 680's across the board*goal met 09/08/18
10/03/18 718-TU, 727-EQ, 715-EX next goal 750's
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection account placed on hold

Sounds like ID Theft I would follow these prcedures to have it removed if they do not do so in a reasonable amount of time

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect...

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection account placed on hold

What you requested is debt validation by the debt collector.

A DV request imposes an automatic cease collection bar if it is timely submitted, which is what they have apparently now acknowledged.

A DV request must technically be submitted in writing in order to impose any requirment.  See FDCPA 809(a).

However, notwithstanding the requirement to submit in writing, the debt collector has apparently decided to accept the request, and as informed you as such.

A timely DV has now placed their collection activities on hold until such time as they decide to send validation.

There is no time period in which they must reply, and in fact, no requirement that they reply at all.  As long as they continue to cease collection activities, they are in compliance with the DV process.  You are thus under a state of limbo.

A DV additionally does not impose any requirment to delete their prior reporting, so the collection can remain during the limbo period.

As suggested in another reply, you can also deal with the situation by other means, such as filing a police report and treating the asserted collection as an identity theft issue.  If you follow the identity theft process set forth under FCRA 605B, then you can get the collection blocked from your credit report, provided you can make the sworn statement in a police report that you never authorized the asserted debt.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.