Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection account questions.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection account questions.

I recently moved back in with my Mom to help care for her and found a bunch of old mail that I didn't know I'd received. Included were 3 bills from the CVS minute clinic. And also three bills from Transworld Systems fore I h is who the cvs minute clinic sold the debt to I guess. I've never received a call from them and none of the collections are showing up on my reports. Should I contact them and pay the bills? They are all three under $100.00. If I contacted them would they put the collections on my reports? What is my best course of action ? The minute clinic visits were all in 2015.

Any advice would be appreciated 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection account questions.

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently moved back in with my Mom to help care for her and found a bunch of old mail that I didn't know I'd received. Included were 3 bills from the CVS minute clinic. And also three bills from Transworld Systems fore I h is who the cvs minute clinic sold the debt to I guess. I've never received a call from them and none of the collections are showing up on my reports. Should I contact them and pay the bills? They are all three under $100.00. If I contacted them would they put the collections on my reports? What is my best course of action ? The minute clinic visits were all in 2015.

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

In your case I would call them (the collectors) and offer to pay in full in exchange for it not appearing on your CRs.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Gdale6!!

I was thinking of contacting the CA and doing just that. I was worried that if they declined the offerf they would view my request as some sort of verification of the debt and report it. I'm not sure why they haven't reported it to the credit bureas? The collections are relativilely recent. Do you think that is a reasonable concern, or am I just being overly suspicious?

Thanks again!!

Message 3 of 9
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: I have questions about collection accounts.

I'd call and ask for an agreement to not report if you pay now. The collections can appear at any point until the end of the credit reporting time period (7.5 years from the DoFD) and will tank your scores if they do.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I have questions about collection accounts.

@Anonymous

I have merged the two identical threads you created into one. Please do not start  duplicate threads as this is confusing to forum members trying to assist you and is a violation of MyFICO's Terms of Service.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you Gdale6!!

I was thinking of contacting the CA and doing just that. I was worried that if they declined the offerf they would view my request as some sort of verification of the debt and report it. I'm not sure why they haven't reported it to the credit bureas? The collections are relativilely recent. Do you think that is a reasonable concern, or am I just being overly suspicious?

Thanks again!!

I would call them ASAP and pay them off- before they report.  Once paid off, then it canot be reported as a collection as they would have no collection authority at that point in time as they would be paid in full.

Call and pay each and every one before it's too late, or before they report and then it may be a hassle to get them removed- that is even if they would consider removing them.

- Just my two cents

Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A debt collector is not precluded from still reporting a collection after the debt is paid if they had collection authority when the debt was paid..

They are reporting the fact that they had legitimate collection authority.

They would be required to report the collection as closed with $0 remaining under collection.

While many debt collectors will not report after a debt is paid, as it no longer serves a business purpose related to collection on the debt, they are not precluded under either the FCRA, FDCPA, or CRA policy from doing so.

Deletion of a collection is only requried per CRA policy if the collection authority is terminated with the debt remaining unpaid.

The purpose of that CRA policy is that if the debt is unpaid upon termination of the collection authority, then it is possible for a new debt collector to obtain collection authority and report a collection.  The CRA policy is to prevent two active collections from simultaneously reporting on the same debt.

That cannot happen if the debt is paid while the first debt collector still has collection authority.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice!

I called the CA involved and was told to contact the OC. I called the CVS minute clinic and paid the amounts owed. Money well spent!! Fewer problems to worry about in the future!

Thanks again.

Gpat1979

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good move, you would have regretted it if they reported. Hopefully the CA won't report as paid? Did you ask that question?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.