cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection account reporting as a credit account on Equifax!

tag
Artamentous

Collection account reporting as a credit account on Equifax!

My wife and I are attempting to get a home, and we have noticed as well as our lender a strange thing on my wifes CR.

It shows a collection of 112 dollars(from our sons birth in 2007 we have since learned) but it is being reported as a CREDIT account. It shows we have missed 18 payments of 10 dollars. We have no idea what this is, my wife never agreed to any payment arrangement, in fact it's likely we would have just paid a 112 dollar bill. It was our understanding at the time the hospital visit that all bills had been paid, and soon after our sons birth we moved from FL to CO. So we didnt even know about this bill, so it is very suprising to see this as a credit account, when it clearly is not. We can't even find the collection agency that did it!

We have got a hold of the hospital who now has the debt again, they got it back after last year.  they tell us that there is no way they would have ever arranged a payment plan as they will only do plans that start a $25 a month.

I have disputed this with Equifax already, and they kept it, but at the time I disputed it I was unaware it was being reported as a credit, as opposed to a collection. It's very frustrating. Anyone else have experience with this?

Any help would be great!

~Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Collection account reporting as a credit account on Equifax!

It's good that you're working with the oc, but is that a ca that's reporting? Why not do a direct dispute with them since eq is being stubborn?

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 4
Artamentous

Thank you for the response.

When I called the CA that the hospital said they deal with they have no record anymore since the Hospital now has the debt back with them.  The Hospital is saying they would never come to a payment arrangement like what the CR is showing. It is very annoying to say the least. I'm not really sure how Equifax verified this TBH. YES there is a collection, but it's not a credit account, it's an old medical bill. It's so strange that it shows as a credit with a year and a half of late payments on the CR I'm quite certain it is killing my wife's credit score since the late payments are being reported from 2011 to 2012!

Message 3 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

First off, a CA can't report late payments.  There's no agreement with them, if they coded themselves correctly, there's not even an option to input lates.  They must have listed themselves as the OC or as a Factoring Company.  So if this is the CA reporting, it is a clear violation.  I would contact them and ask for removal, if not then I would file a complaint against them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.