Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection account updated while in dispute

tag
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Collection account updated while in dispute

Is it legal for them to update an account while it is currently in dispute? It was a Verizon collection, they updated the amount to paid $0, and put in comments in dispute re investigation in progress paid collection. It actually raised my score with it being marked as paid to $0, due to them reporting it under revolving accounts it said my "Bankcard" balances went down.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Re: Collection account updated while in dispute

Anyone?
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cartwrna wrote:
Is it legal for them to update an account while it is currently in dispute? It was a Verizon collection, they updated the amount to paid $0, and put in comments in dispute re investigation in progress paid collection. It actually raised my score with it being marked as paid to $0, due to them reporting it under revolving accounts it said my "Bankcard" balances went down.

Well, yeah, a dispute means they either verify, update, or delete the information being disputed. If other information has changed as well, it may also be updated.

Message 3 of 4
J91605
Frequent Contributor

Yes, information can be updated without the dispute being answered. I assume that some companies update everyone in there system automatically every month. A dispute would need to be answered in a different manner. By an actual person I would hope. If this is not correct please let me know as well.

Starting Score: 6/30/15 EQ 554 TU 534 EX 608
Current Score: EQ 630 TU 635 EX 653
Goal Score: 680 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.