Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection accounts vs installment accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection accounts vs installment accounts

Currently in the process of cleaning up my credit. Thanks to this forum I have learned many helpful tips i.e. GW letters, PFD letters etc......Now I'm looking at which accounts should I apply my money towards first??? I've did some searching on here and have found that I should pay off the ones that are within SOL. Problem is there all within SOL. I have a couple accounts that are in collections and a couple accounts that are listed as installment accounts that are negatively affecting my CR. These installment accounts are not accounts that I can just get caught up on and then continue to pay the agreed payments that were intially set up, so I would be paying these accounts as PIF.  Did some looking into Dave Ramsey and have came up with paying the ones with the lowest balance owed, but that throws me into paying installment accounts and collection accounts at the same time. My goal is to increase credit score over 100pts in 1yr. I believe by just getting these accounts paid off will help me get to that goal, if I can get these accounts PFD then I'm almost positive I can do this??? I have many accounts (over 15) that show a good history and paid (no derog comments). I also have other accounts that I am still paying on that have no derog comments on as well. So I'm thinking just by cleaning up the bad stuff I can reach my goal. 

Note: Some of these installment accounts are reporting KD monthly. 

Just needing some direction as to what I should be working on first that is gonna reflect a boost in my fico scores once taken care of. I'm assuming in order for the ones that I take care of to boost my scores I need to request PFD but not sure (could use some clarification on that)??? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Collection accounts vs installment accounts

Well honestly. Unless you are sucessfull with the pfd. the collections will not help your score. paid or not.

they will still hurt.

the installments that have key derogatory will hurt too. but maybe you can catch them up and get the lovely pays as agreed now.

Best bet. focus on Pfd. Cause each one that works will gain quiet a few points. if your goal is trying to get a 100 points. as you said.

Just my opinion.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection accounts vs installment accounts

Ok thanks
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.