Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection accts :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection accts :(

Hi! I'm new, so please be sparing with the abbreviations (unless you provide their meaning lol).

Okay, so I'm a full time college student working three jobs, will be graduating in December. With that said, I have no health insurance and was unemployed or underemoyed for the past several years. On four different occasions since 2009 I have had to visit the ER, and the leftovers of the bills have moved onto collections. All range from $244-$690. I now have to money to pay a couple in full, or even more if I'm able to arrange a payment plan.

Here's the actual question: how heavily do medical bills impact my ability to buy a car (looking to finance about 10g)? Also, if I go in and try to pay some off, will this actually help me or hinder me? I've read on here a couple times that if I poke a sleeping beast, I may awaken them and reprocussions will occur.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing fine in all other areas of my credit, got a 25pt increase in January. Hoping to receive at least 60 more by August. Thanks!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Collection accts :(

A paid collection or a non-paid collection impact your score the same.

A non-paid collection will hurt you more in a manual review.

I would start offering PFD (Pay for deletions) and see how that goes.

You may be able to look around here for HIPPA deletions.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Smiley Happy. What are HIPPA deletions?
Message 3 of 4
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

A paid collection or a non-paid collection impact your score the same.

A non-paid collection will hurt you more in a manual review.

I would start offering PFD (Pay for deletions) and see how that goes.

You may be able to look around here for HIPPA deletions.

Welcome to the forum!

If I were you, I would contact whoever provided the medical service and see if you can pay them instead of the CA, in exchange for them 'recalling' the debt from the CA. This is hit or miss, but I would rather pay the OC rather than a CA. I had a lot of luck removing medical this way.

If you have the money to PIF, I would definitely try that route first. If they do not or will not agree to do this, I would contact the CA and attempt a PFD.

If that does not work or you have issues, you can google HIPAA process and you will get HIPAA information on how to remove medical debt that way.

And BTW, and this isn't supposed to sound like a jerk, but the abbreviations are for posters who respond, because we A. respond to a ton of posts B. if we spelled out exactly what each one meant, it would require real long posts... and you as a new poster/member, asking for advice should take the time to research those. You won't get far without taking the time to learn the basics at least.. haha There is a sticky thread about it, but I have pasted it for you here..

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Guide-To-Common-Abbreviations/m-p/224988?jump...

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.