Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection agencies seem easy to remove

tag
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Collection agencies seem easy to remove

@Anonymous wrote:
It is definitely not what most people believe - all collectors are not pond scum. Smiley Happy I always took the approach that each debtor I dealt with was someone that wanted to do the right thing until they showed me otherwise. I was always polite and upfront with my debtors, even with the 90 year old man that called me a "Mod Edit" for even daring to call and tell him that he had a balance due from his bill.

In MY experience, there are good, honest collectors and terrible, corrupt collectors in nearly every agency. In MY experience, once the OC turns over the bill, they don't want to talk to the debtor at all anymore. They're already unhappy that they are losing 7-20% of whatever is collected to the CA. Or they just want to deal with people who want to pay before it gets that far. The collector on the other hand sees that person calling in as a potential part of their income for the month and they DO want to talk to you. If they're allowed to delete, OF COURSE they will if it means money in their pocket on commission day.

I agree 100 percent with what you are saying above. I have never felt debt collectors were scum, if it regarded to collecting on legitmate debt. All of my debt, less for 3 accounts, were legitimate debt I paid in full, and either negotiated a PFD or a GW attempt. More than a dozen collection accounts. Nearly all reps I spoke with (offshore or USA based) were cordial, followed the rules; weren't beligerent. MY personal experience

But there are extremely unethical AGENCIES, not just agents, where their whole business is buying old debt, 4 times over and resold, for pennies on the dollars and spend their whole days violating FDCPA and FCRA in extortion attempts by harrasing, by making legal threats they can't possibly back up, by threatening your livelyhood.  This isn't me trying to sound dramatic, this is fact. And I delt with THREE of these agencies

I just don't agree with your intial response on this thread to begin with; whcih indicated that CAs won't delete unless the OC states to, because I promise you that a couple of the OCs who took me to court, won a judgment (which subsquently I paid off) and still try to do things to impact my future would have a seizure if they knew the CA removed the account after payment. And several other of my accounts were sold, for example, the HSBC charge off, and there is no way Portfolio Recovery was talking to them when I was negotiating my PFD.They bought they debt. The owned it. They did what they needed to do to make money and HSBC was not in this loop.

As for working for three agencies, your internal experience and knowledge is clearly superior towards mine. But having spent the last 3 years repairing, and rebuilding my credit, my experience has taught me otherwise.

-scott

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't always remember to specify , but my initial response definitely was meant to apply to debts which are contracted, not sold. And I agree, most of those OCs would lose their minds if they knew CAs were deleting debts. They want that mark on your credit as long as possible. They don't want to be seen as soft - they want you to pay future bills to them before it goes to a CA. They don't want to lose any money to a CA that isn't necessary.

And there are ABSOLUTELY corrupt agencies. I left the one I worked for in Houston, TX because I didn't want to be associated with that type of crap, much less end up named in a lawsuit because of the practices others at the agency engaged in.
Message 12 of 16
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't always remember to specify , but my initial response definitely was meant to apply to debts which are contracted, not sold. And I agree, most of those OCs would lose their minds if they knew CAs were deleting debts. They want that mark on your credit as long as possible. They don't want to be seen as soft - they want you to pay future bills to them before it goes to a CA. They don't want to lose any money to a CA that isn't necessary.

And there are ABSOLUTELY corrupt agencies. I left the one I worked for in Houston, TX because I didn't want to be associated with that type of crap, much less end up named in a lawsuit because of the practices others at the agency engaged in.

Okay. So after 3 hours and 1500 words, we esseintially have the exact same opinion Smiley Happy hehe

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 13 of 16
ESA2012
New Contributor

I had a collection agency pay for delete with no hesitation, ive had another tell me its against the FCRA regulations. both were small debts. im going to sit down and write up some letters and mail them off. i have 3 agencies that could help me out if they deleted GW. 

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a long term relationship with the creditor are they ever willing to take off negative credit reporting as good will?

Message 15 of 16
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It's pure luck I believe.  I had an easier time with the OCs than the CAs.  I agree that not all CAs are pond scum, for some though, I would think comparing them to pond scum is insulting the pond scum.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.