Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection agency/AT&T issue

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection agency/AT&T issue

hello all, new to the forums and on mobile, so I apologize for any formatting issues.  Recently when I pulled my credit report, a collection agency "enchanted recovery co" appeared on behalf of AT&T.  It is for about 250 dollars, I immediately called AT&T and asked them about the collection as I have not had AT&T for over 3 years now and why this randomly popped up on my report.  They said they had no access to the account in question and could not find any final bill.  When I closed with them 3 years ago, I did it at a retail store and was given a paper showing a 0 balance. 

They said I had to deal with enhanced recover.  My big issue with what's going on is not about the money but I'm in the final process of my dream job, something I've been working hard for and they DO pull a credit report and they do not want to see any outstanding account.  Not only that but I have been working hard trying to build a strong credit, which has been a long process.  So I am in a pickle and am asking for your advice on how I should proceed.  Sending a DV letter I'm guessing is a lengthy process, but might clear my name, ask them for pay to delete (from what I heard from this company in question, will prob be no), dispute it with the CA, or just pay it so I don't have the outstanding balance so nothing interferes with me getting my job.  Any help, tips or advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection agency/AT&T issue

i just settled with AT&T... i find it very hard to believe they have no record of a debt they're owed. I would wait for other responses, but I feel pretty confident that a dispute with the credit bureau is in order if you're positive you paid this bill. Maybe do a DV letter with ERC? I'm new to this, so I would wait for the more experienced ppl on here to respond

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife had a charge off account with Enhanced Recovery Company due to an unpaid T-Mobile bill. Even though the bill was indeed hers, The CRA's deleted it because she opened the account by phone which meant that T-Mobile nor ERC had a copy of her drivers license to prove she actually opened the account. 

Message 3 of 6
redbeard
Frequent Contributor

I had a collection on my reports from enhanced recovery several years ago.  At the time, I was pretty sure it wasn't my account.  I called them and they looked it up and sure enough, it wasn't mine.

Of course, I needed it deleted quickly but I wasn't panicked over it (timewise).  They told me the fastest way to get it deleted was to pay it, the total due was $75 and if they collected from the original debtor, they would send my money back (yeah, right).  I told them I wasn't going to pay it.  Account was deleted in 24 hours.  

Moral to the story..... just because its on your account doesn't mean its yours.  Call enhanced recovery.  The reason AT&T can't pull it up is because its likely not your account.   They seem to do a lot of 'name' matching.

Dan

Just trying to get my scores to rise from the dead......

Wait.... I think I just heard a heartbeat!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had one from them - it was for DISH - I tried to call to PFD since it was only $27 -so I used the phone number on my report and I was told by the agent on the phone that they (Enhanced Recovery) had closed their collection department.   I asked "why is it on my credit report then"  She replied - "it should have been deleted - you should dispute with the bureau"   So I did online disputes saying "I am no longer liable for this collection"

It was off my reports within 2 days.    This was back the end of August......

Funny thing is every few days I see someone post on the boards about ERC - so if they CLOSED their collection department - why does everyone still have them popping up?? 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

"My wife had a charge off account with Enhanced Recovery Company due to an unpaid T-Mobile bill. Even though the bill was indeed hers, The CRA's deleted it because she opened the account by phone which meant that T-Mobile nor ERC had a copy of her drivers license to prove she actually opened the account. "

holy crap, bro.... i have two collection accounts from hospitals that i showed no ID when i went b/c i had no wallet or identification, do you think i could get away with something like that?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.