cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection agency charging $159 to do pay for delete?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection agency charging $159 to do pay for delete?

I have a collection for $115 from November of 2013 on my credit reports, this was originally from a dermitologist that I always paid cash to before I left because I didn't have any credit cards at the time.  I called the collection agency and explained that I don't believe I owe this since I had always paid in cash after my appointments, etc.  I was going to offer to just pay it off if they were willing to have it deleted from my credit reports since it was such a small amount.  Before I even got to that point they offered to delete it for an additional fee of $159 which kind of took me by surprise.  I told them I would have to think about that and asked if they could send me something in writing stating that it would be removed if those terms were met.  The guy said "I can't send you anything in writing but that's why we record all the calls, in case it doesn't get deleted or shows back up we have a record of the agreement recorded".  I expained to him that them having a recording does me no good since I don't have the same recording or anything proving that they agreed to it in case they don't hold up their end of the deal.  He claims that AFTER I make the payment they will send me a confermation that it will be deleted.......is it even legal for them to charge an additional fee to have a collection deleted? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection agency charging $159 to do pay for delete?

It would depend upon the laws in your state related to collection fees.

They could assert additional processing is required, and place a fee on that processing.

Are you considering paying, or are you considering bringing some type of action, asserting that such fees are illegal?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was considering just paying it because I want it off my report, it's the only baddie I have that I can do anything about right now.  It just seems kind of fishy to me that they aren't willing to put anything in writing so I have no way of holding them to it.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can always record the call yourself...
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Many furnishers (both creditors and debt collectors) will decline to put a PFD agreement in writing.  That is not unusually fishy or uncommon.

A primary reason is that such deletions are contrary to the written policy of the CRAs that is incorportated into their reporting agreements with the bureaus.

The CRAs are in business of selling credit histories.  The more complete, the more value their products are assumed to be.

Subjective deletion of derogs does not present an accurate history, and thus the CRAs have a policy that is clearly stated in their common credit reporting manual ("Credit Reporting Resource Guide") and incorporated into their credit reporting agreements that furnishers are not to delete prior reporting based on payment of the debt.

Noncompliance with that agreed policy could result in termination of their credit reporting agreements, so they are reluctant to put PFD and GW agreements in writing.

Active efforts to collect additional fees for deletions contrary to CRA policy might add extra incentive not to put such agreemetns in writing.

If they do agree to a PFD, they have little to gain by risking legal action for violation of an oral contract.  I would normally take them at their word, since the option is no PFD agreement.......

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.