Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection agency charging extra for a PFD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection agency charging extra for a PFD

I have 2 hospital bills that are with Universal Collection Services out of Baltimore. They didn't respond to my PFD letter I mailed them. Getting desperate, as these are my final baddies, I decided to call them. Rep on the phone said to get them expunged from my report instead of just being updated, I would have to pay an extra $25 per account. I asked if they could put it in writing and he said no. I thanked him and hung up. Now my question is, is this even legal? Should I take the chance of paying without getting it in writing? Would recording the call do me any good? Thanks to everyone in advance for your advice.
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Treysdaddy08
Valued Member

Re: Collection agency charging extra for a PFD

Me personally, I would have no problem paying the extra 25 dollars. Call it an, "administration fee". However I would not pay anything without getting it in writing. You're hoping they stand by their word and have no recourse if they don't.

Starting Score: 2/2/12 - 551
Current Score: 3/18/12 - 636
Goal Score: 660

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Yea I know I should get it in writing. I'm just really eager to get these off asap. Anybody think recording the call would help?
Message 3 of 22
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

That's interesting ~ i haven't heard of CAs Asking for "extra" to delete ~ but it's really not surprising given how most CAs operate. I agree that it would be risky to just pay and take their word that they'll delete without having something in writing in first.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 22
FrugalRican
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:
 I asked if they could put it in writing and he said no. 

This was all I needed to read.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 5 of 22
Treysdaddy08
Valued Member

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
 I asked if they could put it in writing and he said no. 

This was all I needed to read.

+1

Starting Score: 2/2/12 - 551
Current Score: 3/18/12 - 636
Goal Score: 660

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everybody. What if I paid the OC directly. Would that force the CA to delete the tradeline, or just update as paid?
Message 7 of 22
FrugalRican
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks everybody. What if I paid the OC directly. Would that force the CA to delete the tradeline, or just update as paid?

They would more than likely update to "Paid as Agreed" and it would have absolutely no effect on your FICO score... but it'd look nice to a future lender who might lay eyes upon that... but as far as scoring, the effect is nil.

You either want the PFD or the eventual GW, but letting it drop off after 7 years as a "Paid as Agreed" is the resource we exhaust when they decide to not GW for the full 7 years.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I'm assuming that recording the call would have no bearing if they didn't delete?
Message 9 of 22
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

I agree.... My $57 collection after they deleted it due to missing my insurance payment.... I begged to pay them I was so happy to have it off my CR, they wouldnt accept payment

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.