Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection agency goof

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection agency goof

So I sent a goodwill request letter to Jana Ferrell and associates to have a measly $55 paid medical collection for my son deleted and they sent back a paid letter to me. However, they also sent me a debt verification letter for another lady. It has all of the woman's info on it including her name , address, soc sec number , her contact info and her actual medical diagnosis. I can't believe it. The lady lives in Oklahoma and I live in Dallas. My son's info was only one page and this lady's is four. In the info...it actually talks about HIPAA compliance. What should I do.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Collection agency goof

@Anonymous wrote:
So I sent a goodwill request letter to Jana Ferrell and associates to have a measly $55 paid medical collection for my son deleted and they sent back a paid letter to me. However, they also sent me a debt verification letter for another lady. It has all of the woman's info on it including her name , address, soc sec number , her contact info and her actual medical diagnosis. I can't believe it. The lady lives in Oklahoma and I live in Dallas. My son's info was only one page and this lady's is four. In the info...it actually talks about HIPAA compliance. What should I do.

Hmm........................

no comment Smiley Very Happy

-------------------------

But in all reality i'd let them know of the goof and shred those documents.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking that I should send the information to the woman. I mean, it is her information after all.
Message 3 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was thinking that I should send the information to the woman. I mean, it is her information after all.

That might make some unnecessary problems between you and the woman (her knowing you know her info)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I guess I didn't think of that.
Message 5 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

You dont want to get in the middle of a HIPAA violation of her privacy due to providing her information to another.

Treat it as a simple clerical mistake, forget you saw it, and return to sender as addressee unknown. I am sure they had no intent to violate her privacy.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds good to me. I'll send it back on Monday morning. Thanks for the advice!
Message 7 of 10
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

Are they going to delete what you asked them to?

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

A paid in full letter will not remove it from your credit report.  If they haven't agreed to remove it, I'd say contact them, and somehow tackfully say you will forget about it once your account is removed from the CRA.

Message 9 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

this is the 2nd post I've read about this happening.

If it was me, I'd be calling OL' CA up saying, guess what you sent me?????  Though, I'd ask for a supervisor..........Maybe they'll be willing to delete your account.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.