Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection agency hard pulling me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection agency hard pulling me

There is an old collection acct on my report and I am in the process of getting it removed because it's not mine. It's not easy removing but the other thing is that during the removal process, the collection agency hard pulled me. Has anybody had this experience and what did you do to get the hard pull removed? I know that they have permissable purpose for some instances but in this case, it's not my accounts. They are just linking me because it was a family member but I have nothing to do with this acct in any way.

Has anybody had this happen?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection agency hard pulling me

If you can prove the account is not yours, then the HP would not be permissable.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would they hard pull me? Couldn't a company soft pull you and get the same information? I feel like it was done just to be jerks. Which seems like harrassment. Because before I started the dispute, they never pulled me at all.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the account is not yours and you have no financial liability connection to it then I would assume there to be no permissible purpose. You would need to go through the standard DV and dispute processes to prove you have no association with the debt and one you have that validated in writing. After, you would need to dispute with the CRAs as not having permissible purpose (search the forums for examples). A Mod or über-experienced user could confirm however if you indeed have no financial connection to the debt you should be good to go. Were you simply a reference for the relative or are you an AU or co-signer? If one if the latter I believe they have permissible purpose. If only a reference then no.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My typing is slow - Shogun swooped in Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to mention autoincorrect took over Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

For credit reporting purposes, the debt is yours until such time as proven otherwise, either by their concurrence in a dispute or debt validation process, or civil action to receive a review of all the facts.   An assertion of account/debt not mine has procedures for proof or credit report exclusion.  What steps have been taken to support "account not mine?"

A debt collector need only have authorized collection authority to obtain permissibe purpose under FCRA 604.  The issue of hard vs soft coding is unregulated.

Any permissible inquriy other than one pertaining only to promotional inquires can accurately be coded as a so-called "hard" inquiry, as the statute permits their inclusion in credit reports viewable by others. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.