Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection agency questions

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Collection agency questions

Yes, a DV does.  But only if it is timely.  They can ignore it if they have already sent a dunning notice and it is outside the 30 days.

Message 11 of 18
gramps1968
New Contributor

I'm just looking to improve my scores really. I already have a mortgage. They are a single office in OK and don't have any other branches as far as I know. I am in NY so for them to start serious type collections such as judgements, etc. I would imagine they would have to file the claims in NY where I live? 

I'm leaning to try a PFD.

One question though....does a paid collection help your score at all versus an unpaid one or doesnt it matter?

04/08/2013 TU 659 EQ 661

Goal score: 700
Message 12 of 18
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

No difference.
Message 13 of 18
gramps1968
New Contributor

So how "forceful" can I be in my PFD....Its hard to explain what I'm trying to say, but can I basically tell them either to accept it or else they wont hear from me again? I'm not sure if there is such a thing of being too threatening or whatever in a PFD letter. I don't know how much of an upper hand I would have. The amount is only 352.00 so I doubt they would travel 1500+ miles to file a court claim. Thanks again for your guidance!

04/08/2013 TU 659 EQ 661

Message 14 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

A PFD is like a good will letter. They are doing a favor in return for payment.  Any force or demands is likely to get it thrown in the trash without a second look.

Be nice.  Something like:

You are reporting a debt I allegedly owe, account _____________.   I neither acknowledge nor dispute this account.  In the spirit of compromise I am willing to pay the full amount for a deletion from all crediit reporting agencies, EQ, TU and EX.

Message 15 of 18
gramps1968
New Contributor

TY guiness....in hindsight it does make a lot of sense to be corteous about it.

04/08/2013 TU 659 EQ 661

Message 16 of 18
gramps1968
New Contributor

And if they refuse my PFD? How would you suggest I follow up?

04/08/2013 TU 659 EQ 661

Message 17 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.