Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection agency switch? Confused?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection agency switch? Confused?

So a year ago, I checked my credit report and i owed sprint about 600 bucks BUT two different credit agencies had the debt. (enhanced recovery co and diversified consultants) When I was ready to settle up on the debt a few weeks back, I paid Diversified consultants, and when I had checked the credit report before that they were the only ones listed on there. (So at some point in that year enhanced recovery co backed off, not sure how or why)..... Since I paid Diversified a few weeks ago I've been waiting for the collections to turn to paid, and it still hasn't. BUT i just noticed a half hour ago that the name on the credit report isn't diversified, it's enhanced recovery!! How did they get back in the mix? What should i do? Should I dispute it? Should I call enhanced recovery and say hey this bill has been paid. I had diversified consultants send me an email confirming payment. Im hoping this is an opportunity to get it off my report completely, but I also don't want to bring it to diversifieds attention that they're not currently reporting it and enhanced is. I know this is a weird situation, but if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection agency switch? Confused?

@Anonymous wrote:

So a year ago, I checked my credit report and i owed sprint about 600 bucks BUT two different credit agencies had the debt. (enhanced recovery co and diversified consultants) When I was ready to settle up on the debt a few weeks back, I paid Diversified consultants, and when I had checked the credit report before that they were the only ones listed on there. (So at some point in that year enhanced recovery co backed off, not sure how or why)..... Since I paid Diversified a few weeks ago I've been waiting for the collections to turn to paid, and it still hasn't. BUT i just noticed a half hour ago that the name on the credit report isn't diversified, it's enhanced recovery!! How did they get back in the mix? What should i do? Should I dispute it? Should I call enhanced recovery and say hey this bill has been paid. I had diversified consultants send me an email confirming payment. Im hoping this is an opportunity to get it off my report completely, but I also don't want to bring it to diversifieds attention that they're not currently reporting it and enhanced is. I know this is a weird situation, but if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Hard to say for sure whats going on here. Only one debt collector can have collection authority at a time. Issues like this crop up when companies like Sprint shuttle defaulted accounts back and forth with several collectors. I would first call Sprint and verify that they have received their payment and that Diversified was authorized to collect. If they were the authorized collector, send ERC a 623 direct dispute, stating they did not have collection authority and the debt has already been settled -and include a copy of the email and any documentation that Sprint can give you.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I'm just terrified that the one I did pay will pop back up on my report somehow, being that i did not do a PTD

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you. I'm just terrified that the one I did pay will pop back up on my report somehow, being that i did not do a PTD

Possible, but unlikely.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess as long as no one contacts that agency, no one will know. Funny thing is, I actually sent Sprint a goodwill letter literally 5 minutes before I noticed this error. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.