Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection agency

tag
boonelb
Regular Contributor

Collection agency

I had a collection agency call a couple of weeks ago about a debt from back in 2000 for satellite tv.  It was not much.  I told then that a debt from 2000 was out of the SOL, but if they would send me the info on it I would consider paying it.  It was not much, about 25.00.  They said they submit a request to mail me a letter about it.  I have yet to hear from them.  So I guess they had no documentation.  If I get it, I would consider paying it.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection agency

@boonelb wrote:

I had a collection agency call a couple of weeks ago about a debt from back in 2000 for satellite tv.  It was not much.  I told then that a debt from 2000 was out of the SOL, but if they would send me the info on it I would consider paying it.  It was not much, about 25.00.  They said they submit a request to mail me a letter about it.  I have yet to hear from them.  So I guess they had no documentation.  If I get it, I would consider paying it.

It has most likely expired but it's not guaranteed. There 3 states that have a SOL of 15 years for certain types of debt.

Kentucky             15 years Written and Promissory

Ohio                    15 years for Written and Promissory

Rhode Island       15 years for Oral and Written

Message 2 of 4
boonelb
Regular Contributor

Its expired.  Long since expired.  I was living in TX at the time and did not move from there til 2010.   I had every intention of paying such a small amount, but I wanted it in writing that it existed not just the word of someone on the phone.

Message 3 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@boonelb wrote:

Its expired.  Long since expired.  I was living in TX at the time and did not move from there til 2010.   I had every intention of paying such a small amount, but I wanted it in writing that it existed not just the word of someone on the phone.

Good to know. I post that information because many people don't realize (not saying you didn't) that the SOL varies widely from state to state and you need to be certain what your particular SOL happens to be.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.