Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection agency

tag
Bfent1
Valued Member

Collection agency

Need HELP fast.... Today a collection hit my report dropping my score 43 points. The amount of the debt is $17 and it's medical, but I don't know who it's from and has never been contacted by the collection agency ever, also never knew this account existed. Of course the amount isn't a problem, but what shall I do? Do I call and ask for a PD or do I dispute with the CA or what? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection agency

@boefobb wrote:

Need HELP fast.... Today a collection hit my report dropping my score 43 points. The amount of the debt is $17 and it's medical, but I don't know who it's from and has never been contacted by the collection agency ever, also never knew this account existed. Of course the amount isn't a problem, but what shall I do? Do I call and ask for a PD or do I dispute with the CA or what? Please help. Thanks in advance.

If you don't know who the OC is, then start by pulling your CRs directly from the CRAs (or free via annualcreditreport). Those CRs will list the OC. Once you have the OC, then contact them and start by asking if they can pull it back from the CA in exchange for paying it.

Message 2 of 7
Bfent1
Valued Member

OK, I've found the OC and talked to them and asked if they could pull my account back from the CA so I can get it paid. They told me that they couldn't because it had been to long already.(turned over to collection 2/2011) But the OC pulled up my account everything was on file and they asked me if I wanted to pay it with them so I did and they are sending me a receipt, never called or ever talked to a CA or received anything from them yet. So what do I do now, wait for the receipt and dispute or what? Please help!!!!

P.S. The OC did say they will contact the CA and let them know that it has been paid.

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You really have no basis to dispute the CA TL.  You paid the OC and all they have to do is tell the CA and they have to update the account to paid.  Having a paid or unpaid collection does your score no good.

You can:

1. Since you have received nothing from the CA, send them a DV letter. 

2. Once it reports as paid, send the CA a GW letter and ask for it to be removed.

I would start with 1 and see where it gets you.

You can also google the HIPAA process and see if that is something you would like to try.

Message 4 of 7
Joselito
Established Member

Starting Score: Fico EQ 560 Jan 2008
Past Score: Fico EQ 674 April 2011
Updated Score: Fico EQ 680 May 2011 EQ 691 EX 687 TU 716 lender pulledCurrent Score:Fico EQ 760 Jan 2011 Sooo happy!
Goal Score: 800 For All!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Joselito!

I noticed you seem to be having some trouble posting. It is possible to edit your own post if you have posted an incomplete message. To edit your post, go to the post. To the right you'll see "Options." Click on "Options" and select "Edit Message" from the drop-down menu.  If you have accidentally posted a duplicate message, you can use the “Report Abuse to a Moderator” link to asking the moderation team to remove one for you. To find this link, go to the duplicate post, click on "Options," then select "Report Abuse to a Moderator" from the drop-down menu. If you need any help with anything, let me know.  Thanks for your contribution to the FICO Forums!

--fused, myfico moderator 

Message 6 of 7
Joselito
Established Member

Starting Score: Fico EQ 560 Jan 2008
Past Score: Fico EQ 674 April 2011
Updated Score: Fico EQ 680 May 2011 EQ 691 EX 687 TU 716 lender pulledCurrent Score:Fico EQ 760 Jan 2011 Sooo happy!
Goal Score: 800 For All!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.