Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection being removed & then added again

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection being removed & then added again

I had a medical collection come up on my credit reports.  I'll spare the details on how it happened, but out of nowhere it was removed from all 3 reports.  I started getting calls a month later from Phoenix Financial Services on it.  I explained to them the situation, still didn't pay it and as expected, it hit my credit report again a month or so later.  I decided to live with it even though I still don't feel it is money rightfully owed.  A few weeks ago, I decided to dispute it through CCT's website just for kicks and a week later the results came back that it was going to remain and that it was verified.  Just as I figured so I let it go.  Now a few days ago, the collection disappeared from all 3 reports and my score skyrocketed again (88 pts) to around 780.  Just wondering what the deal is with this and why it is being removed then added again. 

1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection being removed & then added again

If the dispute results came back as verified, then the collection was not removed by the CRA as a result of the dispute.

It was thus voluntary reported as a deletion by the debt collector.

There are no additional reinsertion requirements for information deleted and being reported for reinsertion unless the deletion resulted from a finding by the CRA in a prior dispute that the information could not be verified.

Collections can be deleted for various reasons when the debt remains unpaid.

The normal reason is that the debt collector has had their collection authority terminated, and CRA policy then instructs them to delete their collection if the debt remains unpaid.

The debt collector may also have decided to simplify their reporting or preclude any further disputes by deleting their collection, and thus chose to voluntarily delete.   Nothing prevents them from later changing their mind, and reinserting.

Additionally, there may be other legal or procedural reasons for a temporary deletion, such as if the consumer is a resident of Texas and has filed a DV request under the TX Finance Code  (if the debt collector cannot provide debt validation within 30 days, they must delete their collection, but can reinsert once they have provided validation).

Many reasons.......

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.